27GL850G-B / 38GL950G-B When and how much?

Associate
Now that pre-orders have started in the US for the 27GL850 any idea when OcUK will put their page up? Or any where else in the UK for that matter?

Associate
I would say that is the Gigabyte AD27, I’ve personally got the Acer XV272UP

Gigabyte AD27 and the Acer XV272UP use the same panel, and it's relatively slow @ 8mn real grey to grey at reasonable settings that don't introduce artifacting. Where as the 27GL850G-B is supposedly around 4ms with reasonable levels of overdrive with minimal artifacting.

It's just a straight up better panel as @ 8ms you are over 1 frame behind @144Hz as the screen refreshes every 6.94ms, while the 27GL850G-B is well under the refresh rate for grey to grey.

hence why everyone is looking foward to the 27GL850G-B as a high performance IPS pannel @ a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Good review of the 27" Simon, thanks. Now I am a bit less wanting of the 38". :(
I still think the 38GL950G is an interesting option, if only because there's no other models in that size range with a high refresh rate and it's an interesting res/aspect ratio. The performance of the 27" is very good overall, you just have to ignore some of the marketing claims we always knew would be unrealistic :)

Associate
Ya I guess one sliver of hope is the LG 38" has the real deal G-Sync chip. Typically they have faster G2G than Freesync monitors so we may see an improvement. Ugg that contrast ratio though on the 27" geez.

I'd be interested more in those 43" VA 120Hz+ monitors coming out but since none of them have the real-deal G-Sync, I will still probably get the 38" LG.

Oh by the way some Chinese you-tuber filmed the 27" LG and the camera was picking up flicker, almost like a strobe back-light. Almost looked as if the monitor had a strobe feature (but I am sure you would have noticed that option).

Man of Honour
I was impressed by the response times of the 27” to be honest. LG Display IPS panels have always been slower than AUO’s and getting them to the levels they have is very good. If the 38” can achieve similar I’d be impressed too.

Associate
I was impressed by the response times of the 27” to be honest. LG Display IPS panels have always been slower than AUO’s and getting them to the levels they have is very good. If the 38” can achieve similar I’d be impressed too.

Ya but you have to admit LG getting them to the same speed or just slightly faster than 4+ year old AUO "4ms IPS" panels after a claim of "1ms IPS" is a bit disappointing.

Associate
I still think the 38GL950G is an interesting option, if only because there's no other models in that size range with a high refresh rate and it's an interesting res/aspect ratio. The performance of the 27" is very good overall, you just have to ignore some of the marketing claims we always knew would be unrealistic :)

Have you received the review sample yet of the 38GL950G?

Associate
Ya I have no idea how they got even WORSE contrast than AUO panels. When you are 200+ CR below gaming TN panels, you sir have a problem.

I wonder if they are slightly turning on the pixels (even when they should be completely off for black) in order to improve responsiveness. This would ruin black levels and hence contrast.

Probably not though as that would be a daft thing to do.

Associate
Ya the black depth is worse than 11 out of the 12 other IPS panels TFTCentral has tested.

I also wonder if the curve of the 38" will help with the IPS glow. I haven't had a widescreen IPS since I tested the old 75 Hz version of this panel which was quite some time ago. I don't remember the IPS glow situation.

Back
Top Bottom