£29.99 for just a sim 3 expansion pack

Soldato
Only socially disconnected people pay £500 for a piece of silicon that produces certain benchmark charts with negligible improvement over the previous piece. ;)

See, I can play with stereotypes too :p (this is coming from someone who dislikes The Sims)

Back to the topic, the expansion packs for the first one were definitely nowhere near as costly, and you could usually get a discounted bundle or community mods anyway. The plsin game itself (Sims 3) is only £26. Just like the Mass Effect 2 DLCs together cost more than the base game.

I recall a major outcry on this very forum over the Modern Warfare 2 DLC map packs...

Lucky thing i don't spend £500 then ;)

I take it you 'play' second life then? I work with someone who goes on about it all the time, he's 51, drinks like an alcoholic (every single night), smokes like a chimney and always goes on and on about open sim/second life, calling the women he meets onthere his "little play mates" it's sad, very sad. The entire 'game' is pathetic.

Soldato

I take it you 'play' second life then? I work with someone who goes on about it all the time, he's 51, drinks like an alcoholic (every single night), smokes like a chimney and always goes on and on about open sim/second life, calling the women he meets onthere his "little play mates" it's sad, very sad. The entire 'game' is pathetic.

That's a lone case really.

It has its uses for social interaction but people take it one step too far.

Still, it's early days really, some think it's brilliant. Others, not so much.

Personally I would rather kick a real ball or drink a real drink than doing it digitally but some aren't so keen due to inconfidence and what not.

Edit - [citation needed] :p

Soldato
Personally I would rather kick a real ball or drink a real drink than doing it digitally but some aren't so keen due to inconfidence and what not.

I respect you're openess to accept others choice for doing it digitally, but i agree with the quoted statement, and i can't see why anyone would want to sit at a computer doing what they could be doing in real life, it's like yahoo chat from 10 years ago except now you can walk about with an avatar....and that was nothing more than a bunch of people making them look like something they weren't. I'm sticking with my outlook that it's pathetic :p

That said.... having my first encounter with this 'game' been through the person i explained in my last post, perhaps my view is tainted somewhat, first impressions and all that. So i'm sure others could see why i'd have the outlook on it that i do?

Permabanned
If i'm in a shop and i want a cucumber, but it is priced too highly i just stick it down my trousers. Same goes for my fleet of Ferraris. Same goes for this.

Soldato
I respect you're openess to accept others choice for doing it digitally, but i agree with the quoted statement, and i can't see why anyone would want to sit at a computer doing what they could be doing in real life, it's like yahoo chat from 10 years ago except now you can walk about with an avatar....and that was nothing more than a bunch of people making them look like something they weren't. I'm sticking with my outlook that it's pathetic :p

In a sense it is pathetic that people feel so bad about themselves they need to create an alter ego digitally to make themselves feel better. Which is actually more detrimental than trying to improve your own confidence in reality.

On the other hand though, it could be good for other uses such as a business of 100 people could all meet virtually instead of booking a real hotel/room or such to converse or deliver a presentation. On a personal level though, it's sad. :p

Soldato

Wasn't aimed at you specifically, but I've seen people on here do just that. But hey, their money...

I take it you 'play' second life then?

No. MMOs are even worse than DLC packs, as far as I'm concerned. Most if not all are virtual Skinner boxes (I think thats the correct phrase). Grinding with very little fun in between.

Caporegime
I think £29.99 is a lot for an expansion pack. Saying that I've owned every single Sims game that has been released.

I'll just wait until this comes down in price, I don't like paying too much for games.

Soldato
Wasn't aimed at you specifically, but I've seen people on here do just that. But hey, their money...

No. MMOs are even worse than DLC packs, as far as I'm concerned. Most if not all are virtual Skinner boxes (I think thats the correct phrase). Grinding with very little fun in between.

Fair enough, i thought i might have offended you and you jumped to it's defence or something :D

I completely agree with you though, i hate MMOs. i hate linear FPS games, and i hate games that are so easy they just feed the player with "yay look you did, aren't you clever" type feelings to keep them playing.

In a sense it is pathetic that people feel so bad about themselves they need to create an alter ego digitally to make themselves feel better. Which is actually more detrimental than trying to improve your own confidence in reality.

On the other hand though, it could be good for other uses such as a business of 100 people could all meet virtually instead of booking a real hotel/room or such to converse or deliver a presentation. On a personal level though, it's sad. :p

Your first sentence sums up my thinking completely, i reckon if the guy i work with spent as much time bettering himself as he does creating his second life he wouldn't be such a useless **** living in a tiny house in a pig sty of a mess and a 16 year old pregnant daughter. (whoa i've never writen down how pathetic his life is before)

I can almost see the business idea, but i reckon video confrencing already exists so why bother? Guy here wants to make a "virtual world" of our work place for students to use, but i can't help but think it's just a way for him to waste time and would be of no major benefit to the students beyond being another program for them to play around with rather than doing work (i work in a school btw if you didn't guess :p)

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's not EA's fault is it. They just now everyone will pay that much. Stupid prices for things are mostly led by the consumers willingness to pay that much.

Soldato
Fair enough, i thought i might have offended you and you jumped to it's defence or something :D

If someone wants to play that then it's up to them. I'm sure if EA can't sell this pack at £29.99 they'll lower the price.

I completely agree with you though, i hate MMOs. i hate linear FPS games, and i hate games that are so easy they just feed the player with "yay look you did, aren't you clever" type feelings to keep them playing.

Perhaps a worrying reflection of the intelligence of the market these days... either that or people are too busy for more complicated entertainment. Probably a combination of factors.

Your first sentence sums up my thinking completely, i reckon if the guy i work with spent as much time bettering himself as he does creating his second life he wouldn't be such a useless **** living in a tiny house in a pig sty of a mess and a 16 year old pregnant daughter. (whoa i've never writen down how pathetic his life is before)

That's his problem, and his daughter is technically legal (albeit not exactly a sensible age to be having a kid). Again, I'm not concerned with deconstructing the personal lives of MMO players.

I can almost see the business idea, but i reckon video confrencing already exists so why bother? Guy here wants to make a "virtual world" of our work place for students to use, but i can't help but think it's just a way for him to waste time and would be of no major benefit to the students beyond being another program for them to play around with rather than doing work (i work in a school btw if you didn't guess :p)

I know, you told me that some time ago ;) Wouldn't that project mean more time on IT support and less time browsing OCUK forums though? :p

Personal remarks aside, if CD Projekt can persuade EA to allow DRM-free sales of its classic titles then it isn't all bad..

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general...huge_with_addition_of_classic_ea_titles/page1

Soldato

Video conferencing using IP connections is still immature I feel. UK upload speeds are retarded so hence limit how many videos we could stream to other partners of an organisation at once. (for example)

With second life/virtual worlds, you can infact have thousands (theoretically) at once all conversing or have a meeting. However I just don't think it's feasible on the UK infrastructure right now. Japan's maybe but the interest using such a system is not that high right now. But it would help people logistically in a business and save money, which businesses are all keen on.

Someone I work with was happy about it all, surprisingly.

When all is said and done I am still quite skeptical about it all. And tell your colleague to STFU. :D

Back
Top Bottom