• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2900 cards is this true?

Associate
Ive done mine and the GTX beats the 2900xt becuase it has more ROP 24 compared to the 16. As well Nvidia say " that they count thier stream processors differently compared to ATI. they say if they counted it ATI way they would get 240 stream processors" I have no idea if this is true.

Caporegime
not to mention even in directx10 :

lost planet = 8800 gts wins

company of heroes = about even

call of juarez = 2900xt wins

Soldato
lol the 2900XT was only meant to compete with the GTS AFTER they realised there was no way it would compete with the GTX.

The plan in the first place was to have this HD2900XT cost less than the 8800GTX and perform equally and besting it. The reality was it didnt and was closer to a GTS so that is why everyone now claims that to be the case.

At the moment GTX is faster and thats that

Permabanned
jrodga2k5 said:
lol the 2900XT was only meant to compete with the GTS AFTER they realised there was no way it would compete with the GTX.

The plan in the first place was to have this HD2900XT cost less than the 8800GTX and perform equally and besting it. The reality was it didnt and was closer to a GTS so that is why everyone now claims that to be the case.

At the moment GTX is faster and thats that

Agreed.

The 8800GTX is the best card on the market at the moment. (Excluding the Ultra)

Soldato
Hold your horses your all getting confused. The 2900XT Resolves AA in the Shader Units of the card, It does not resolve in the ROP units AFAIK, this means as in my quote, if the shader units arn't too busy they can resolve AA very well and take no hit (remember there were talks of the R600 AA being "free" when uppping the amount of AA well there you go). The 2900XT has 16 ROP Units where as the GTX has around 20 or so. The GTX do all the resolve in the ROP units allowing the shader units to be free to do there work. It may be possible for ATi to resolve to the rops aswell as the shader units in future drivers but this is not totally known. 2900XT has a very tweakable arc thanks to the compiler arc. This is normally where the 2900 falls behind with AA enabled in some titles, these titles are normally fairly shader heavy so dont allow much headroom for the AA resolve. CFAA should help things even more in the future.

Soldato
killer_uk said:
They do, but as we've seen, performance is decreased more than what it would be if it were done the normal way.

Correct Im glad you got it :p

no_1_dave said:
It also means all normal games have worse IQ when using AA. It ONLY benefits games that support it...
Games that dont have shader aa end up end up with blurred edges

Absoloute rubbish, the AA resolve quality the same way as any ATi card before it (Box method up to 8xAA). If you want to use say 16xAA you must use one of the CFAA methods this results in a slightly softer look, the IQ is not changed apart from the image not being as crisp as the box method (up to 8xAA).

Last edited:
Permabanned
Some of you people really need to check updated reviews of the HD2900. It's now pretty clearly faster than the GTS. with the GTS only catching/beating it in a few occasions. But having said that the HD2900 is not as good as the GTX.

Soldato
sargatanas said:
Some of you people really need to check updated reviews of the HD2900. It's now pretty clearly faster than the GTS. with the GTS only catching/beating it in a few occasions. But having said that the HD2900 is not as good as the GTX.

You got some links ?

Permabanned
wether or not the xt beats the gtx.........both will get very high framerates, so im not sure what all the fuss is about ? generally 60fps is the acceptable fps, and these get over 80-90 maxxed out......you dont see the extra fps in games so why bother, lol

Caporegime
sargatanas said:

its also faster than the GTX as well in some, so not bad at all.

Soldato
eracer2006 said:
wether or not the xt beats the gtx.........both will get very high framerates, so im not sure what all the fuss is about ? generally 60fps is the acceptable fps, and these get over 80-90 maxxed out......you dont see the extra fps in games so why bother, lol
Because if one card is just pulling 60fps whilst the other can do 80-90, then the second card has more headroom for future titles.

Permabanned
maybe but owners of top end cards seem to upgrade when the next best is out, so again it doesnt really matter does it.

Most gtx owners will buy g9* when it comes out.

and most 2900xt will buy a 3000xt when that comes out.

Soldato
for the price the 2900 is a very good card, for arround the 200 quid mark its a very good buy, its just not a top end card, which ATI didnt intend on it being so, in crossfire its very good aswell, which is my next upgrade tbh :D.

Soldato
LabR@t said:
Is This how these cards work? sounds like its very good on older titles then?

Correction : ATM it's very good on titles that are not very shader intensive. Problem is almost 80% of todays games are, 2900 is still holding its own though and is definetly a GTS competitior.

Associate
Most gtx owners will buy g9* when it comes out.

and most 2900xt will buy a 3000xt when that comes out.
Any idea when that could happen ? Sorry i have been away for a while and now trying to jump in again, so was just curious if you guys got some info about it !

cheers

vairo

Soldato
Can I just ask, where's all this information about G92 and etc coming from? Because I really can't see nVidia skipping right to a new generation of card without a die shrink or revision.

For example, we've always had all sorts in terms of choice - GS, GT, etc.

So where are these cards? Are 3 "top end" cards all we're getting this generation?

I find it even harder to believe for ATi. They only have two, and they're also going straight onto a new generation?

Sorry guys, i'll believe it when I see it, personally I think we're going to see a process shrink and new 8***/2*** models before we see anything else.

Back
Top Bottom