• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2900XT 512mb or GF 8800 GS 640mb?

Associate
Hi

I read & searched around the forums but can't find the answer

I plan on running my HTPC to play games on my 42" LCD @ 1920 x 1080 Resolution

First I thought that the 8800 GS was the better card to go for but then looked at other reviews that say different

The 512mb 2900 XT is £10 cheaper than the 640mb 8800 GS & it seems to be getting reviews showing it better than the GS version

Can anyone clarify this as I'm totally confused?

Regards

Dave

Associate
OP
Hamoodii said:
ask your self these questions:

1=Do I have a good case with some decent cooling? (i.e 120/120)
2=Am i going to run Vista
3=What PSU do I have
4=What games am/will be playing

Thanks guys for all of your replies so far

1 - Antec fusion with 2 x 120mm fans on low
2 - Not at the moment I'm running MCE 2005 (I've heard DX10 is becoming available for XP?)
3 - Antec Fusion with 430W Antec PSU - Although I do have a 600W OCZ PSU at hand if needed
4 - Any games really NFS, role play, stalker, BF2 etc

I'm tempted to buy an XBOX 360 instead of the GC what do you guys think?

Associate
OP
Kipper67 said:

With respect, there is no need to be sarcastic; I had looked through most of the posts you mentioned, so no guide dog needed! :(

I was looking for a specific answer to running the card at a high resolution, as there was so much contradiction saying one was faster that the other, I just wanted a simple answer, as the guys previously answered simply, which is the answer I was looking for!

Back
Top Bottom