• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2900XT or 640GTS?

Caporegime
Personally i think the an on the 2900 is a mixed bag. When i first insalled it with drivers off the web it did rev up a lot, not really a rev more of a whooshig of air kind of sound. After i uninstalled those i put the driver disc in and installed the whole package on it, that included hdmi audio drivers etc as well, after that the card was very quiet, easily as quiet as my gts is now.

Dunno why it never revved after that, was kind of un-nerving though as i was under the impression the card was sticking to 2d fan speeds so i put back the web drivers soon after and sure enough back to full revs. :eek:

Soldato
Good to hear that you didn't swap with champ lol :D

I should get my post count up to get access to the members market lol. I'm more of a reader than a poster mind you lol.

Soldato
Gerard said:
Personally i think the an on the 2900 is a mixed bag. When i first insalled it with drivers off the web it did rev up a lot, not really a rev more of a whooshig of air kind of sound. After i uninstalled those i put the driver disc in and installed the whole package on it, that included hdmi audio drivers etc as well, after that the card was very quiet, easily as quiet as my gts is now.

Dunno why it never revved after that, was kind of un-nerving though as i was under the impression the card was sticking to 2d fan speeds so i put back the web drivers soon after and sure enough back to full revs. :eek:

Odd I get the same issue with whatever set of drivers I use.

Soldato
Well, I dunno if I will be getting the HD2900XT anymore, apparently my 8800GTS is equal to it and that its not worth swapping as I will loose performance, basically what guys said at Rage 3D, apparently they had a poll, and everyone with 8800's would not move to an HD2900XT.

Keep in mind performance would increase on your GTS as well with different hardware. Its just as bottlenecked by your current rig as a 2900 would be.

They are working hard on the issue, and it WILL improve. It is fighting an uphill battle. Even hard core ATI enthusiests arent expecting it to improve as much as you apparently think it will (see SSexon posts). I dont think anyone believes its 'here to stay' as you put it. A lot of people just dont think it will overcome its inherient ROP/ALU limits with its current setup (which from what I have read, drivers really wont help in that respect).

Like I said, you have your mind made up already, its obvious.

here is a link for you on the newest drivers. The writing is a little biased, but...you get the point.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTM1MSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Here is a thread discussing the biased points just to be fair. :)

http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33893579

Again, go for it, its just something that I wouldnt do for the plethura of reasons I and others listed.

No your 8800gts is about an equal (wins some loses some) with No AA. With AA it tends to fall short in most tests.

The 2900xt has the potential to be the better card, but right now it isnt. Im afriad for you that when/if that potential is realized, the refreshes from both companies would be out. Im just waiting to see what the next round holds. Since you already have a bangin card, why switch for somthing to be potentially negligably better?

Honestly they are both FINE cards, I just wouldnt make the switch myself (and it appears a lot of others would agree). Hell, there was a poll around this site somewhere and NOBODY switched from a gts to a 2900. That in itself on this supposedly ATI ridden site should tell you something.

http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33890917

As of now, and the 8.38 (catalyst 7.5) drivers its essentially the same (wins some loses some) vs gts640. Add in AA, and any advantages it had prior is mostly out the door. :(

That Q processor would not be a solution either.

You do what you want though..You asked for advice and most people said not to do it, but more or less seems that your mind is made up in getting it. :)

PS- What concrete evidence do u have that makes u feel it will overtake the gts640?

Soldato
Tom|Nbk said:
Christ sake will :eek: :D, Your going on what one person has told you :confused: , make your bloody mind up

^ What he said :D

Seriously, you need to make a decision and stick with it otherwise it'll be in the back of your head for months on end, and threads will appear from you for months on end ;)

Most people on both camps are happy with their cards, so whichever you choose you'll be happy with. Of course if ATI do release 'miracle' drivers a swap will suddenly be very difficult.

Soldato
Boogle said:
^ What he said :D

Seriously, you need to make a decision and stick with it otherwise it'll be in the back of your head for months on end, and threads will appear from you for months on end ;)

Most people on both camps are happy with their cards, so whichever you choose you'll be happy with. Of course if ATI do release 'miracle' drivers a swap will suddenly be very difficult.

Ok, Ok, Ok, I'm gonna do it!!!, I do feel like I am jumping off a cliff tho and if the HD2900XT is the right choice I will hit the bouncy castle at the bottom :p, but if its not, then I'll be toast :(

I just looked at that guys post count over at rage 3d, he seemed very reputable so I belived everyting he said tbh.

Soldato
willhub said:
Ok, Ok, Ok, I'm gonna do it!!!, I do feel like I am jumping off a cliff tho and if the HD2900XT is the right choice I will hit the bouncy castle at the bottom :p, but if its not, then I'll be toast :(

I just looked at that guys post count over at rage 3d, he seemed very reputable so I belived everyting he said tbh.

I wonder if Ladbrokes offer bets on if you'll go through with it, and if you do - how long you'll keep it? :D

Soldato
Boogle said:
I wonder if Ladbrokes offer bets on if you'll go through with it, and if you do - how long you'll keep it? :D

;) You can try having bets, I'll be intrested to see who was right and who was wrong :D, get betting on the forums :D

What do people think I'm going to do?, even tho I said I'll do it, I am still unsure and i'm gonna be up and down like a rolelrcoaster, even I dont know what i'll do :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
willhub said:

Jesus, just stick with the GTS if you really having these thoughts, whats wrong with sticking it out with the GTS for a while and seeing what happens, the 2900 isnt going to go anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom