2nd hand logitech z680s

Soldato
If the other forum is a better place to ask please let me know, but i guess folks look at both.

As per subject, I'm looking at getting some 2nd hand z680s. It's obviously an old system but reviews seem very good.

It'll be going into my pc, used for tv, film and gaming mostly, some music. I'm not an audiophile and don't need the best system in the world, just fancied surround sound. From what i understand I'll be able to plug these straight into my pc (using gigabyte x370 gaming 7 that has sound blaster x-fi i believe).

They're £60, which seems ok to me?

Thoughts/advice etc?

Soldato
OP
The guy couldn't find the 3x3.5mm cable. Said if he does he'll bring it round to me. I've got two of them, but think I'll buy a longer triple cable later, since i plan on using it on an electric desk, so need decent length.

Just bought a spdif 3m cable from Amazon for £4.50 so i can use them on my xbox until the office is ready. If that works on the pc too, I'll not worry about the 3.5mm i guess.

Soldato
OP
Reading on forums, it appears that it should be possible to use the realtek audio to produce dolby and dts? I've got a gigabyte x370 k7, which has ALC1220, and supports Sound Blaster X-Fi MB5. Not sure how to enable it though (unless it's on by default).

Easy enough to get the triple cable if needed though.

Soldato
OP
Bloody useless amazon basics cable doesn't actually fit :(. Got a refund, and no need to return it, but still a pain in the arse.

I'm happy enough to go with the 3x3.5mm, it's just the xbox one is a spdif, so it would have been nice to find a single solution, since devices won't be used at the same time (xbox would have been just this week basically). I'll probably pop into town tomorrow and see if I can't find a cable that fits properly.

Think I'll just bite the bullet and go for the triple for the pc.

Soldato
OP
Well I'm a moron apparently, being completely unfamiliar with optical cables, I assumed the amazon cable came ready to go. Turns out, there's a small rubber cap over the ends, remove that and it seems to fit (untested as yet, but fits snugly). I suspect I'm not the only idiot given the number of people complaining about it not fitting.

So now I'm back to potentially looking into cracked codecs, or 3x cables, don't see myself going for the sound card for the simple fact that the 3x cable is easier, and if I want the headphones as well, they can plug into the front port (or into the speaker system).

Back
Top Bottom