*** 2nd March - Apple Event - Official Thread ***

Soldato
I'm getting REALLY tempted to buy the iPad 2 when it comes out, but I really don't need it!

I have a 13" MBP (2010) and an iPhone, but I like the idea of just sitting here browsing with a tablet.... dam apple advertising :(

I know how you feel, I've slowly come round to the idea that I need an iPad. :D

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Tesco had a cracking sim-only deal a few months back. Included £30 cashback too!!

£10 per month, pay monthly SIM, 12 months
250 minutes
5000 messages
1GB data
unlimited Wi-Fi

You just have to buy the iPhone outright, but you're on a 12 month contract so...

EDIT: This is the same as the standard £25 a month iPhone 4 deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I'd get the iPhone 4. However I think the best deal is The One Plan on Three -

iPhone 4
32GB Black
24 months
£35 a month
Plus £159 upfront cost
Includes:

* 2000 any network minutes
* 5000 texts
* 5000 Three-to-Three minutes
* All-you-can-eat Data

Then, if you want an iPhone 5, sell it and buy an unlocked iPhone 5 from Apple, and keep a VERY decent contract. If you dont need a 32GB model and get the 16, the price goes down further.

There are other deals but Three seem to be the best overall at the moment unless you have some sort of network discount.

I still can't get over the £999 over two years...

Soldato
Is this what it appears to be?
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC531ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY
could I store Itune videos on a Sd card and use this to transfer it as and when I want to the ipad?

I'd be wary going by one of the reviews. Quite how that works I don't know but I imagine they want to prevent you from transferring any old files. Might be worth finding some more indepth reviews.

Apple.com Review said:
SD reader can only be used for SD cards with photos directly from the camera. It is not possible to transfer pictures from computer to SD card and then transfer to the iPad. USB-connector can only be used for connecting to a camera and transferring pictures.

Apple has a policy that restricts all resonable use on the iPad.

Why can't I put a PDF on the SD-card and transfer that to the iPad?
Why can't I drop pictures directly to the iPad disk when connected to a computer - Apple makes their own stupid organization of pictures on the iPad disk.

http://store.apple.com/uk/reviews/MC531ZM/A?mco=MTc3NDg5MzI

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'd be wary going by one of the reviews. Quite how that works I don't know but I imagine they want to prevent you from transferring any old files. Might be worth finding some more indepth reviews.

http://store.apple.com/uk/reviews/MC531ZM/A?mco=MTc3NDg5MzI

The camera connection kit has allowed all sorts of accessories (like microphones) to work, although not officially documented.

I'd say take some movies on a SD card to an Apple store, and ask to demo the iPad running 4.3, to ensure 100% compatibility.

Man of Honour
going to get one regardless, can we discuss jailbreaking on here?
If so just wondering what functionality it adds.

Yes you can discuss it now.

I personally dislike it as many of the apps lack the polish that normal ones have and none of them do anything particularly special for me.

There are however plenty that you might find useful, and its extremely easy to do (compared to rooting on Android), and to reverse if you think its quite pointless like I did.

A good example (until recently, anyway) was the Wireless Hotspot you could enable via Jailbreak, that would certainly make it worth doing as you wouldn't need to buy a bolt-on for your SIM deal, and would mean you could buy a cheaper iPad (non 3G) for example.

It still is worth doing for many people as I think only Three have the hotspot enabled by default for The One Plan.

Man of Honour
is their anything else, like using a camera connector for wifi for full file copying moving, or enabling flash(very unlikely).

ATM can;t see the point, but thought I would see if there is a list of useful things.

Man of Honour
There are some Flash enabling apps/things around there I think, I would imagine they aren't overly reliable though.

Not really sure beyond that, but plenty of people on here are using Jailbreaks for various things so they should offer some insight into other useful features, I'm sure there are plenty.

Back
Top Bottom