• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2x R9-290, when did crossfire become terrible?

Asa

Asa

Associate
Hi!

I used to play with crossfire 290s. Certain issues pushed me over to the other side (primarily HDMI 2.0, but also things like heat, noise, and profile problems), but while I had my crossfire setup I loved the performance.

I broke my replacement card, so I'm back on the 290s while I wait for Polaris/Pascal. I fired up a few games like Witcher 3 and Ryse to see how the crossfire profiles had improved, and in most cases I found performance was terrible. Geralt's shoulder pads don't flicker any more, but the game visibly crawls.

A quick look at afterburner shows that while crossfire is working, the 2nd GPU isn't really doing anything.

So... when did crossfire become terrible? Is there a particular highpoint driver version I could look to roll back to for Witcher 3 in particular?

Asa

Asa

Associate
OP
I have seen SLI and Crossfire have had pretty poor support in a lot of recent games, but I'm mostly looking at older games that used to work well and trying to figure out why they don't any more.

I do have hairworks enabled on Witcher 3, and probably should limit the tesselation if that's still necessary. But when I played Witcher 3 before I had hairworks, and I had good usage on both GPUs. Now I get GPU1 maxed out, and GPU2 occassionally getting involved for a fraction of a second if it feels like it.

What drivers are you testing with? I'm on 16.2.1 hotfix

Back
Top Bottom