• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2x4850 or a 5850?

ntg

ntg

Associate
This is the case,

I got one Asus 4850 and a full HD monitor. I don't game a lot (thus not really happy to spend a lot of money on a 5850) but when I do I like to have all the goodies as high as I can.

I have noticed that in synthetic benchmarks 2x4850 are a good match to a 5850. However the low ram of the cards has been singled out as a consideration against the 1gb of the 5850 - which some posters say makes a different when gaming at full HD.

What is your take on this?

Is it worth getting an extra 4850 for around £50? Is it going to make a considerable difference when gaming at 1920x1280 or not?

I am not that interested on lower resolutions.

Thank you in advance for any reply.

ntg

ntg

Associate
OP
hmm..divided opinions!!

anyone else care to provide their 2c?

I guess the electricity consumption will be much greater with 2x4850 than 1x5850, no?

Soldato
I would get the 5850 as i think the ram is going to limit you with some games when adding in aa with a 4850 512 crossfire setup. If you can sell that 4850 for around £60 and add on what another 4850 would cost you are probably looking at around £140 all in. So you would probably be paying around £60 more for a next gen single gpu solution which imo is pretty good.

Soldato
my experience with crossfire wasnt exactly brilliant, games were glitchy sometimes which is a big no no in my book, ocossionaly changing some setting in windows resulted in my desktop area going to a black background , wallpaper was completly replaced lol, in the end i figured its more hassle than its worth,at the momeent ive settled on using 1 out of the 2 cards i have and my gameplay is now smooth as it was before crossfire, maybe it was the setup i was using and you will get totally different results, but for me it wasnt worth the hassle that it brings, i next plan on a single card like the 5870 or see if nvidia bring anything out to compete against the 5870, and as you say the 1gb memory should be a much better advantage when higher resolutions are used, also the new ati's are dx11 so if you go to windows 7 your card is fully compliant aswell

Back
Top Bottom