1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£300 budget - what can I get?

Discussion in 'Laptops & Tablets' started by Cromulent, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Cromulent

Mobster

My father is looking into getting a cheap laptop to use for controlling a Raspberry Pi when he is out and about, and I was wondering what is considered good in this price bracket currently? It has been a long time since I have looked at the laptop market and I have no idea about cheap budget laptops so if anyone could offer some advice I would appreciate that. He says he'll be prepared to go with a refurbished one if it is in good condition as well.

2. pcfarrar

Wise Guy

A refurbished business laptop like the Dell Latitude E7450, £300 should easily cover a 5th gen i5 with SSD.

You can get brand new HP 255 G7, Ryzen 3 laptops for £300 but the quality is really poor compared to the Dell latitude.

3. wiiija

Wise Guy

I've got one of those its actually a really good laptop, quality isn't bad at all obviously nothing compared to my xps13 but not bad! I upgraded to 16gb ram and a 512gb m2 though, the screen is VA and a lot better than TN that you usually get on these budget laptops, i payed 340.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  4. zom247

Mobster

Would either of these laptops be good for just surfing and a bit of work using MS Office? My Samsung R60+ is about 12 years old now and really slow, even with an SSD and due to the processor it will only run W8.1.

5. petertr2000

Gangster

I'm struggling to understand this part to be honest. Could you explain more about what the laptop will actually be used for?

6. petertr2000

Gangster

There's no obvious reason why a Core2Duo system (my best guess) would'nt run Win10 just fine. With an SSD and 8GB ram (you should be able to pickup 2nd hand at a nice price).
    But it's not going to be lightening fast either way.

A £300 Ryzen laptop - get 1080p screen, 8Gb Ram and an SSD as mandatory min specs, and it'll be fine for any "normal" laptop use.