306 Seat Knackered

Soldato
My get to work 1998 306 XSi has failed it's MOT because of the drivers seat has a cracked frame. Does anybody know how easy they are to remove/fit?

I'm trawling around local scrappies looking for a replacement but not having much luck so far :(

Soldato
Isn't the point in the pre tensioner to hold tension, so it'll do something odd if you snip them...I'm not sure though.

As IainD said, 4 bolts though...should just be able to remove them, unless it has airbags in the seat or sensors in the seat...or heatead seats, but I'd have thought they are just electrical connections/plugs.

Man of Honour
The pretensioner pulls the belt tight in the case of an accodent , to restrain you. If you want it is fairly easy to remove the tensioner mech (2 bolts) and stick it on the new seat, just dont drop it !! Otherwise it really is as easy as 4 torx bolts (t35 ? )

Soldato
Good luck buddy, I had a hell of a time finding a seat due to the same problem, and I gave up and bought a Focus.

To remove the seat.

1. Unplug the battery (Assuming you have side airbags/pretensioners?)
2. Leave for 30mins-1hour
3. Unplug cable under seat
4. Remove screws and remove seat
5. Attach new seat
6. Connect wiring
7. Reconnect battery

Soldato
Surely unless it was heated/all airbags fancy seat they should be 10 a penny - a friend of mine couldn't even give away his 306 interior!

Honest, I spent 3 months looking in scrappies for a drivers seat for a 1.4LX phase 3 (probably the most seen model) and had no luck. Was an excuse for a bigger engine too :)

Soldato
OP
Good luck buddy, I had a hell of a time finding a seat due to the same problem, and I gave up and bought a Focus.

To remove the seat.

1. Unplug the battery (Assuming you have side airbags/pretensioners?)
2. Leave for 30mins-1hour
3. Unplug cable under seat
4. Remove screws and remove seat
5. Attach new seat
6. Connect wiring
7. Reconnect battery

Crikey, can't afford that for now!

When you say unplug the able, that implies it's plugged into something by a connection of some sort. All I can see are two orange wires soldered together.

Man of Honour
Ah ok, seems someone has removed the connector then (they tend to become faulty and cause an error light - you will either need to cut them and re connect when you replace the seat - or remove the pretensioner while the seat is in situ (possibly made easier by removing bolts and rotating/fiddling with seat, then put it onto the new one in the same manner.

Soldato
OP
I see what you were refering to now. Managed to get a seat and when I removed it from the car at the scrapyard, it was still connected by the plastic connectors.

So in my haste to get it fitted into my car, I wnet and cut the soldered together cables without taking note of what was connected to what :rolleyes:

The wires from the seat are pink and grey and bot wires from under the carpet are orange/yellow. What would happen if I connected them the wrong way around? Is the airbag likely to fire when I re-connect the battery?

Idiot :eek:

Back
Top Bottom