• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 12gb

Associate
So the rumours were true and there will be no founders edition.

Begs the question, will the 3080fe 10gb be discontinued. Would be a very cynical move if it was.

Associate
OP
No it’s not a steal, it’s still overpriced at £649.

People have just been conditioned into think they should cost more money while Nvidia makes supernatural profits on them due to there being no real competition still. Yes, AMD exist but their product is not as feature rich and they can’t supply the volumes to challenge Nvidia even if there wasn’t a global shortage.

I pretty sure I paid £370 for a 7800gtx in 2005, which accounting for inflation is around £565 today. So fe 3080 is good buy.

Associate
OP
The only problem there is the 7800gtx was the top card so your comparison is with the 3090 price and not the 3080.

Only the 3090 isn't a main stream card, it's a halo product that virtually nobody buys for gaming. Unlike the 7800gtx, which was very widely available and popular card.

So the comparison with the 3080fe is a fair one.

Associate
OP
It's not a Halo product it's just priced crap. It does nothing the 3080 cant. It's even the same chip as the 3080 which is a cut down 3090. Since when were top chips classed as Halo products. If the 3090 had Titan ability's and the driver i would possibly put it in the halo class but it hasn't. So to me it's just Nvidias top graphics chip with a stupid price tag. We used to get 2 top end chips on one board cheaper than the 3090.

Who needs 24gb of vram? Certainly not a gamer.

If nvidia had the same business practices in 2005 as they do today. The would have released a 7800gtx with 2gb of vram and charged £800 for it. When the 256mb version was fine.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
very true its a top tier card its meant to be special or have some extra features slapped on there.
Its the supercar of the GPU world.

Only for games you can't leverage the vram, it's completely pointless and will not engender you towards the opposite sex either, unlike a supercar.

Associate
OP
I will give you that with the 24gb Vram but the 7800gtx also had a 512mb version which is double the Vram of the normal card. It would set you back £430 back then. So again thats the top chip with an overkill amount of Vram at the time.

The memory has faded, but I'm pretty sure it didn't come out at the same time as the 256mb version.

Associate
OP
@Purgatory, quoting such a long detailed post would take up too much space.

I agree if you can leverage 24gb of vram, the 3090, especially an fe is a bargain. Knowing nvidia I'm sure they've gimped the 3090 for professional use, so as not to eat into their server cards.

Of course competition forced nvidia to set a vastly lower price for the 3080fe than they would have liked and use a cut down 102 chip. That's what competition is all about, sadly lacking in the gpu market for a long time. If only nvidia new the AMD 6xxx cards would never be near their mrsp, they would have scalped the 10gb 3080fe themselves.

I have this supposed unicorn card, bought on my first attempt. So can't be too hard. Yes, I would have liked more vram, but the 6800xt is a joke price and the 3080 ti fe, is out of my price range.

Associate
OP
when/if mining profitibility stops, things WILL return to normal.

Absolutely, as some point crypto will crash hard. Just as shares do not rise inexorably, nor will crypto. Which is why I bought an fe card for mrsp, I'll still be able to sell without taking a huge hit.

Back
Top Bottom