• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 12gb

Associate
OP
very true its a top tier card its meant to be special or have some extra features slapped on there.
Its the supercar of the GPU world.

Only for games you can't leverage the vram, it's completely pointless and will not engender you towards the opposite sex either, unlike a supercar.

Soldato
Only for games you can't leverage the vram, it's completely pointless and will not engender you towards the opposite sex either, unlike a supercar.
Which is what almost everyone said when it was released. Lots of people only bought the 3090fe because getting a 3080 was not possible for a sensible price. The 3090 FE isn’t much more than lots of 3080 AIB models.

Soldato
Who needs 24gb of vram? Certainly not a gamer.

If nvidia had the same business practices in 2005 as they do today. The would have released a 7800gtx with 2gb of vram and charged £800 for it. When the 256mb version was fine.

I will give you that with the 24gb Vram but the 7800gtx also had a 512mb version which is double the Vram of the normal card. It would set you back £430 back then. So again thats the top chip with an overkill amount of Vram at the time.

Associate
OP
I will give you that with the 24gb Vram but the 7800gtx also had a 512mb version which is double the Vram of the normal card. It would set you back £430 back then. So again thats the top chip with an overkill amount of Vram at the time.

The memory has faded, but I'm pretty sure it didn't come out at the same time as the 256mb version.

Soldato
If you think about it, it actually makes perfect sense.

Lets be honest, a 3080ti was always on the cards from day one. For the 3090 to make any sense it needs something to differentiate it from the 3080ti and the 3080 given they are all within 10% of each other.

The only way to increase the VRAM was to double it and it looks great on a spec sheet.

The AMD equivalents also look great on a spec sheet with their 16gb, half of which is unused in nearly all games. The only difference here is that 8gb wouldn’t have been enough for the higher tier cards
For the 3090 to be worth the premium over the rest then it really should have been manufactured on the TSMC 7nm.

Soldato
For the 3090 to be worth the premium over the rest then it really should have been manufactured on the TSMC 7nm.

The 3090 is one of the best priced cards out of the range for professionals wanting a card with that much VRAM, it makes the RTX Titan look like a scam and every Titan before it. You guys are gamers and the card is only aimed at you if you use games that require more than 8GB,10GB or 12GB now and we see the price of the 12GB versions of the 3080 and the 3080Ti prices. If you managed to buy a 3090 FE or AIB at MSRP you made one of the best buys in a long time for cards aimed at pro users and users that demand larger VRAM.

You guys are way of topic, if the card was not aimed at you then it wasn't for you in the first place, go check which card sold the most on the owners lists here, it was the 3090 and many purchased more than one for pro use, if you check pro user forums the 3090 is spoken as a godsend compared to the Titan cards before because of the 24GB VRAM and NVLINK that is much better this generation and allows memory pooling too on a gaming card. Why ? because really it was meant to be the Titan of this generation but AMD put a spanner in the works for Nvidia and they had to move every card up a tier. If you have not noticed that before you should be very aware of it now with the price of the 3080 12GB as that was going to be the 3080Ti in the original plans.

The 3080 10GB you have now is really a cut down 3080 12GB that was meant to be the 3080Ti.

so:-

3080 10GB (GA102) we have now should have been the 3070 really (GA104) as was the 2080 before (TU104)

3080 Super basically a refresh if it came out as planned would have been the 3070Ti we have now (GA104)

3080 12GB (GA102) we have now should have been 3080Ti (GA102) as was the 2080Ti before (TU102)

3080Ti we have now would have been the Titan X of this generation with 24GB (I doubt it would have existed as a RTX card too, so maybe was never on the plans as a RTX card)/Quadro card (A-series they call them now), so I think this card as an oddball was meant as a A-series card "Quadro Class"

3090 we have now would have been the Titan Xp of this generation. OR the original Titan X for this generation.

3090Ti that is coming I believe is a paper launch and you will never see many of them and only reviewers will have them or if they make many the 3090 is basically EOL and they will have a price FE MSRP of $1999.99 (a way to price hike the 3090 range to where they really wanted it as a Titan) and would have been the real Titan Xp of this generation.

I know confusing but think of it as AMD forced Nvidia to move all cards up one tier this time and really tried to hurt AMD with the $799 price for the 3080 10GB compared to the 6800xt that may have had a MSRP higher than the $650 it came out with to start with but AMD had to lower the price.

Remember the 102 class chips are now only for 80Ti models we have not had a 80 only card with this size chip in a good while they are normally on the 104 chips. Now as we know the 102 chips as 80Ti are priced at $1200 as has been set by the 2080Ti.. Nvidia never wanted to give us a $700 102 chip this generation as we have clearly seen by the shortages of 3080 10GB cards they are unicorn cards for a reason, they are nothing but a marketing stunt and a way to hurt AMD and make them price their 6800xt at a lower price than it would have been or Nvidia messed up and thought the 3070 was going to beat a 6800xt at first and later realised nope they have the faster card so we need to move up a tier each planned card and have to stick to the original price even at a "loss" to them.. AIB cards never sold at $700 like the FE for a reason they were expensive to make and why did the AIBS cry out hey this is costing us money and we can't make a profit and what did the AIBs do? They raised their prices and made the FE 3080 look cheap, because it was a marketing stunt by Nvidia well used that way and to hurt AMD too, even the 6800xt as we saw was never sold at MSRP AMD ran for their lives to supply reference cards at MSRP to UK and most of Europe and even in USA they are rare drops like how Nvidia did here in UK and Europe with the 3080.

Think about it a bit, there is real reason why the 3080 cards cost what they do at the fake FE msrp and the real world AIB prices, the 3080 10GB FE was used as a weapon by Nvidia even before mining and all that scalping rubbish the AIBS said we can't make the 3080 10GB at the fake msrp Nvidia set.. This is why the 3080 12GB is priced as it is "no real msrp set", it really is a $999.99 msrp FE card if one existed or really should have been $1200 because it was meant to really be the 3080Ti on the original plans.

Nvidia users this generation that got 3080 10GB at MSRP should be thanking AMD and same to the users of 3090s because that would have been a $2500 Titan card like the RTX Titan before it.

Don't think about these cards as they are now but what they really would have been, the 3070 really was the 3080 in plan A and with a $700 MSRP for FE and probably with more VRAM than 10GB. This generation was messed up by AMD because Nvidia underestimated them and really was a win for consumers before all the silly mining and scalping happened and covid and shortages due to covid.

The cards were actually well priced for their use, I know we all went £1400 for a 3090 they mad...the gamers that is, but again the 3090 is not aimed at you originally it was meant to be a Titan.. and everyone that wanted the next gen Titan knew it would be priced $2000-$2500. But also many Titan users have no use for Titan drivers (like me) and what happened was actually a godsend to people like me because we got a Titan for $1000 less than it should be and without the drivers we didn't need. Look at how well the 3090s really sold... check the owners thread here and pro forums, people buying them in 8's for render stations and AI and research work. This forum is very game minded about graphics cards ... graphics cards are not just for gaming.

PS. Nvidia gave the 3080 a GA102 chip when they didn't want to, so they gimped the VRAM on it and gave you worst binned GA102 chips. That's how they will make sure you update sooner as the VRAM limits will probably be hit sooner than previous gen cards as we now have consoles with 16GB VRAM (yes I know the 16GB VRAM is used by the os and programs and is unified so not all is used as VRAM and some is used as normal system RAM). We have seen how 8GB VRAM cards can have issues at high resolutions now with some games and even 10GB caused issues on some games too (yes AMD sponsored games ..FarCry 6 but for sure more to come).. The 3080 10GB was a gift in one way from Nvidia (if you got one at MSRP) but in another way it has a hidden darkside too..depends how you use the card in the end as you may never see these limits with VRAM depending on resolution you use and game settings.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@Purgatory, quoting such a long detailed post would take up too much space.

I agree if you can leverage 24gb of vram, the 3090, especially an fe is a bargain. Knowing nvidia I'm sure they've gimped the 3090 for professional use, so as not to eat into their server cards.

Of course competition forced nvidia to set a vastly lower price for the 3080fe than they would have liked and use a cut down 102 chip. That's what competition is all about, sadly lacking in the gpu market for a long time. If only nvidia new the AMD 6xxx cards would never be near their mrsp, they would have scalped the 10gb 3080fe themselves.

I have this supposed unicorn card, bought on my first attempt. So can't be too hard. Yes, I would have liked more vram, but the 6800xt is a joke price and the 3080 ti fe, is out of my price range.

Soldato
That was a long post above. So my 3080fe is a 3070, and I should be thanking AMD.

My mind boggles.

I bought a new graphics card. It's a 3080fe and it plays games. Isn't that the only thing that needs to be understood?

Soldato
That was a long post above. So my 3080fe is a 3070, and I should be thanking AMD.

My mind boggles.

I bought a new graphics card. It's a 3080fe and it plays games. Isn't that the only thing that needs to be understood?

You clearly didn't read it...

The real 3080 should have been the current 3070. The 3080 you have now is thanks to AMD making Nvidia move every card up a tier.:rolleyes:

Why was that hard to understand ?:confused:

Soldato

The real 3080 should have been the current 3070. The 3080 you have now is thanks to AMD making Nvidia move every card up a tier.:rolleyes:

Trust me. I wasn't trying in any way to make any sense of what was written.

Do a word count and consider if it was too many words for something simple.

I could explain a tonne more complex stuff with that amount of words :)

Caporegime

You need to do a TLDR summary, because your posts are incredibly convoluted and long-winded to the point where I gave up reading it. No-one likes walls of droning text that do not hold interest; please be more concise and get to the point.

Last edited:
Associate
The only cards that aren't absurdly priced this generation are the FE cards (aside from the 3080 Ti) and the tiny number of AMD MBA cards that vanished like a fart in the sahara.

There are still reasonable upgrades to be had when looking at the resale value of old cards, however.

Back
Top Bottom