• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080ti

Permabanned
Just interested in how many people are waiting for this. Seems to me to answer the doubts of some that the 3080 doesn't have enough memory, so it's basically the same as a 3090 ( ish ) with a bit less memory... and a price between the two at around £1000. Current theories are release around January. Although NVIDIA could, I am just wondering whether this would improve or make the shortages worse ( so they may not release it in Jan )???? I guess this could release some orders for the 3080 when people who, say, have a 2080ti realise that their best upgrade would be a 3080ti instead of the 3080??

Associate
every time I see "ti" i just see it stands for "terrible investment"

What? 1080ti has been a great performer and lasted years.

Why would a ti be any less value than a non-ti?

Not that any GPU is really an "investment", unless you're using it for crypto mining.

Associate
I've waited long enough for the 3080, and I picked a model that seems to be rarer than hens teeth (EVGA) so the thought of jumping on another queue for what will amount to a marginal improvement in speed and more VRAM doesn't seem that attractive, especially with yet another price hike!

As for availability. If its still using the same node then yes, they will be cannibalising existing supply to make these cards, if they go with TSMC, then no.

All this worry over VRAM is not something I am losing sleep over, titles like Cyberpunk 2077 on ultra with ray tracing on don't use all the VRAM so any title that could theoretically be more complex graphics wise are unlikely to use much more.

Caporegime
What? 1080ti has been a great performer and lasted years.

Why would a ti be any less value than a non-ti?

Not that any GPU is really an "investment", unless you're using it for crypto mining.

Mainly because I doubt they would have it performing better than a 3090 and there's barely a gap in performance as it stands between 3080 and 3090.

It's a great proposition for nVidia though, as mentioned above, they will still sellout simply because it's another card with some availability. Just like a number of people who opted for the 3090 over a 3080 as they couldn't be arsed hanging around in discord stock alerts and F5'ing webpages.

Last edited:
Associate
Really what are you gonna be looking at here... A few FPS? The gap between the 3080 and 3090 is already pretty insignificant as it is. This is why just about every reviewer has the opinion that the 3090 is a stupid purchase for your money. Could upgrade the rest of your PC for the price difference of a 3080 and a 3090....

Can see the "Ti" version being another 2-300 quid for the extra V ram and that's it. Possibly an extra 2 FPS or something:rolleyes:

Certainly not gonna be like the Ti variants of the 1000 or 2000 series. There's no headroom for it to be with the 3090. Nvidia kinda shot themselves in the foot here.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm just waiting to see what's in stock to be honest. A 3080Ti makes sense as the VRAM headroom is always good to have, if just for the inevitable "Real High-Res Textures for Cyberpunk 2077" mod. I'm curious how they'll place it in the existing product lineup though - will it be a slightly faster chip, a chip identical to the 3080 but with more memory, or something in-between?

Permabanned
OP
every time I see "ti" i just see it stands for "terrible investment"

I think a number of people will be interested in the ti largely because of the amount of memory it has. It's not going to attract everyone, but it could well attract the 4K players, who, of course, it's really aimed at?

Associate
Really what are you gonna be looking at here... A few FPS? The gap between the 3080 and 3090 is already pretty insignificant as it is. This is why just about every reviewer has the opinion that the 3090 is a stupid purchase for your money. Could upgrade the rest of your PC for the price difference of a 3080 and a 3090....

But that's only assuming cards are at MSRP. The truth is that even retailers are elevating costs and blaming it on [whatever they want] as some sort of justification. Where they can sell more 3080's than 3090's you'll notice the 3080s have a bigger hike (discounting OCUK as they're taking the mickey across pretty much every variant going). Let's be honest here, the price difference between 3080 and 3090 at the current prices, which are likely to remain in place for the next few months means it's less of a difference than you're describing, and if a 3080ti model gets dropped into the mix then it's going to blur even further. The 3090 might even turn into a decent early buy especially if people are managing to get them at MSRP prices.

Associate
I’m waiting for 3090Ti.

You'll be waiting alright. Just like we are waiting for our 3080's... I can't see the 3090ti being anything other than a paper launch. On a more serious note, I heard somewhere the 3090 we have now is pushing the silicon as hard as its likely to go so for a 3090ti to be a thing, TSMC is the way to go and they are clogged up to in production of AMD / Sony & Microsoft chips as far as I understand.

Associate
But that's only assuming cards are at MSRP. The truth is that even retailers are elevating costs and blaming it on [whatever they want] as some sort of justification. Where they can sell more 3080's than 3090's you'll notice the 3080s have a bigger hike (discounting OCUK as they're taking the mickey across pretty much every variant going). Let's be honest here, the price difference between 3080 and 3090 at the current prices, which are likely to remain in place for the next few months means it's less of a difference than you're describing, and if a 3080ti model gets dropped into the mix then it's going to blur even further. The 3090 might even turn into a decent early buy especially if people are managing to get them at MSRP prices.

Unless you actually managed to get one close to MSRP on the preorders. Think I paid 750 or something for my MSI trio. Not buying into the whole spend £1000+ for a £700 card to have it now personally. Could have, but not a fan of ******* my money up walls. I have a perfectly adaquate GPU at the moment. Mine should be here very soon.
Don't think a £1,400+ GPU is ever going to be seen as a "decent" buy in my head when the card below it is barely behind it in performance for basically half the price. That's if you manage to nab an FE, the AiB cards are £1,600+

So yeah I could well upgrade the rest of my PC for the price difference if I desired.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Well, personally, since the 3080 is nonexistent I will probably wait ( whether I want to or not! ) until the 2080ti comes out now, I mean why not?

Back
Top Bottom