3090 build complete, Thanks OC

Associate
Hi all built my new gaming rig yesterday, majority of parts ordered from the great guys here at OC.

Its my first build in a few years and I'm very happy with it

Specs-
Ryzen 7 5800x
MSI Tomahawk X570 Wifi
32gb Kingston Hyper X 3600mhz
RTX 3090 FE
2 TB WD Black SN850
Fractal Design 360mm AIO
Fractal Design Vision S2 RGB case
Corsair RM 850x PSU

Just awaiting the arrival of the illusive 12 pin PSU cable from Corsair for the 3090 and its complete.

Been on console for the past 5 years and man does it feel good to be back on PC

EsR1ybzXYAQYlYU.jfif

Last edited:
Associate
OP
the links work, looks good ! there should be a way to make it so it puts the picture in though

in the dropdown, bbcode

ill try it here

Nice, thanks for the tip mate, really pleased with it so far. The 3090 is ridiculous it demolishes everything I've thrown at it in 1440p. The left monitor is a 4k 60hz which I just use for films and Web browsing etc. I'm looking at getting a 4K 120 hz monitor when all the new ones start dropping later this year, Although I imagine they will be hard to get hold of at launch, especially with the new consoles using 2.1 also

Associate
OP
great ! :)

3090 should be bloody good considering what it costs ! ha ha

have you tried games on the 4k monitor to see how they do ? :)
Yeah it does very well in 4k also, pretty much everything I've tried apart from Cyberpunk has been 100+fps.
But obviously I don't see the benefit on my old 60hz monitor lol.
I'm going to have to take it in the living room at some point and plug it into our CX55 OLED and try the high refresh rate at 4k.
Although I'd probably not want to bring it back into the spare room if I did :D:D:D

Associate
OP
Yeah its crazy, I've been console gaming for the past 6 or 7 years as I had to sell my last PC to put towards a house deposit, at the time I had a GTX 680. This is my first rig since then and I'm completely blown away by how far they have come.
I thought the PS5 was great till I tried a game on this system. Nothing can prepare you for 160+ fps, its just an amazing experience and worth sacrificing a bit of resolution for if you have to.
I have a feeling the PS5 will be going on eBay pretty soon, its been collecting dust since I built this, I'm so glad to be back on PC

Associate
Yeah its crazy, I've been console gaming for the past 6 or 7 years as I had to sell my last PC to put towards a house deposit, at the time I had a GTX 680. This is my first rig since then and I'm completely blown away by how far they have come.
I thought the PS5 was great till I tried a game on this system. Nothing can prepare you for 160+ fps, its just an amazing experience and worth sacrificing a bit of resolution for if you have to.
I have a feeling the PS5 will be going on eBay pretty soon, its been collecting dust since I built this, I'm so glad to be back on PC

yes the only downside to PC gaming is not all titles are released on PC.

Associate
OP
yes the only downside to PC gaming is not all titles are released on PC.
Yeah that's true only a few of the sony 1st party games interest me though tbh, and obviously every Xbox game will be on PC as well.
Plus the Steam sales and cheaper games in general soften the blow slightly.
Once you've tried a game at super high fps going back to 60 fps feels awful lol

Associate
Hi Mattp, your system looks great!

Ironically I have a basket full of components but not pressed go as I’ve not done this before so I guess looking for advice first.

I have chosen the same CPU but a B550 motherboard, was there a specific reason to go for a X570 board?

Also, I see you are running 3600Mhz RAM. Is this clocked and if so was it especially tricky? I’ve matched the max RAM speed to my board (3200) whilst for much the same money faster RAM is available. Can you offer a Noob PC builder any tips?

Cheers, CP.

Associate
OP
Hi Mattp, your system looks great!

Ironically I have a basket full of components but not pressed go as I’ve not done this before so I guess looking for advice first.

I have chosen the same CPU but a B550 motherboard, was there a specific reason to go for a X570 board?

Also, I see you are running 3600Mhz RAM. Is this clocked and if so was it especially tricky? I’ve matched the max RAM speed to my board (3200) whilst for much the same money faster RAM is available. Can you offer a Noob PC builder any tips?

Cheers, CP.
Thanks mate, Ill try and help you best I can. I went for X570 mainly for the PCIE gen 4 support across all the M.2 slots. Which I don't think a lot of B550 boards offer. Mine has support for 2 gen 4 drives which I'll add another one later down the line. Also the Tomahawk X570 is a great board that punches way above its weight according to a ton of reviews I've read and watched online, it even outperforms some boards twice the price. with a ton of cool features like a USB type C header which I needed for my case and 3 RGB headers which have turned out handy with all the RGB fans in my build

As for the Ram it's pretty easy to overclock, it's all done in the BIOS and it's a fairly simple process. Just change the values and confirm it. There's a ton of video's online that are worth watching explaining the process, but the difference between 3200 and 3600 is gonna be very little and you probably wouldn't even notice the difference anyway, especially in gaming.

Best thing to do mate is research, I never buy anything until I've read up customer reviews and watched a few videos on them, it does get tedious but it's worth the hassle in the end when you get the best quality parts. I was studying parts for a long time before I pulled the trigger on anything and I only went for a 3090 in the end because the 3080 was literally impossible to find at RRP. I figured why pay a scalper £1000 for a 3080 when I could get a founders 3090 directly from Nvidia for £1300 lol

Good luck with the build anyway mate, and I'm sure if you get stuck there's plenty of guys here in the forums that will gladly help as well as me.

Take care

Associate
£1300 for a single component... O... M... G! I think that’s more than my old trucks worth

Appreciate the input, I think I’ll stick with the memory for now simply because of reliability and like you said it’s not going to be a big difference until I experiment with something significantly better at which point other components might not be up to it... like the board it’s on.

I have read and read again about X570 vs B550. I learned that just about every reviewer is being paid to advertise a board (how can every single review yield completely different results!) and mingled in all the advertising was some consistent messaging about what you plan to plugin and use on it.

In the end I trawled the spec sheets so know exactly what you mean about PCI-e 4 capacity. I shall take another look at that but I do have a target price of <£1000 for a base unit (no secondary storage nor graphics card) and that really focuses the mind!!

Thanks for you help, snowing out so shall surf a few more motherboards..... cheers.

Back
Top Bottom