• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3090 Ti or 7900 XTX

Soldato
Stars a thread about upgrading a GPU at little to no cost. Instead ends up spending £1000 on a new monitor.
We are just helping to improve his experience while looking for a bit bankrupcy. It's how you improve in life gaming wise.

You do know the more you buy the more you save from the profit that loves his leather jackets.

The wife took him at face value and some how i am always skint.

Last edited:
Associate
but also sounds like AMD drivers are still a **** show. I've not had AMD cards for many years

I stopped reading here. Absolute nonsense.

BTW, i purchased my first AMD/ATI card (7900 XT) since 2001 a few month ago. It's the best card i've had the pleasure of owning. I've not had any driver issues either.

Before purchasing such card, all of my previous GPUs were Nvidia. Even their drivers weren't always perfect.

I'd definitely go with AMD again for my next GPU.

Personally, i'd go with the 7900XTX.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I stopped reading here. Absolute nonsense.

BTW, i purchased my first AMD/ATI card (7900 XT) since 2001 a few month ago. It's the best card i've had the pleasure of owning. I've not had any driver issues either.

Before purchasing such card, all of my previous GPUs were Nvidia. Even their drivers weren't always perfect.

I'd definitely go with AMD again for my next GPU.

Personally, i'd go with the 7900XTX.
I had AMD card many years ago, for a number of years - Rage 128, 9700, X1800 and I think a 7950. The general think with them was the hardware was great but the drivers would crash a lot in games, them need a number of fixes to work properly.
I therefore switched to Nvidia back and forth hoping they would be fixed a number of years later.

Early days, the games that were ATI specific looked and ran beautifully, similar to 3DFX with Glide implementation in games.

Associate
I had AMD card many years ago, for a number of years - Rage 128, 9700, X1800 and I think a 7950. The general think with them was the hardware was great but the drivers would crash a lot in games, them need a number of fixes to work properly.
I therefore switched to Nvidia back and forth hoping they would be fixed a number of years later.

Early days, the games that were ATI specific looked and ran beautifully, similar to 3DFX with Glide implementation in games.

Rage 128, what a card, was my first proper gaming card, many hours wasted playing grand Prix 3 & 4 on that.

Soldato
trouble is will you just want to switch again when the 8900 xtx releases. Surely AMD are in the advanced stages of those cards now.

Soldato
I currently have one of the top of the line MSI 3090 Ti GPUs.

Is it worth selling it and buying a 7900 XTX for similar cost? I mainly (only) play Warzone.

Looking at videos the 7900 XTX pumps out more frames, but also sounds like AMD drivers are still a **** show. I've not had AMD cards for many years due to issues with drivers but not sure if they improved since then (going back at least 10 years)

While the 7900XTX is more powerful, The 3090 Ti is a solid card, You'd maybe be getting 20-30+ more FPS, Not really worth it.

Also drivers now on AMD are as solid as Nvidia's drivers.

If you NEED a new GPU then just wait a few months for the new stuff, AMD's new stuff will apparently only be mid range and roughly the same power as the 7900XT and Nvidia's new stuff is likely to be even more expensive but very powerful.

Last edited:
Soldato
While the 7900XTX is more powerful, The 3090 Ti is a solid card, You'd maybe be getting 20-30+ more FPS, Not really worth it.

Also drivers now on AMD are as solid as Nvidia's drivers.

If you NEED a new GPU then just wait a few months for the new stuff, AMD's new stuff will apparently only be mid range and roughly the same power as the 7900XT and Nvidia's new stuff is likely to be even more expensive but very powerful.
I would say it's close to double that. I haven't looked so might be wrong but would imagine the xt has a good advantage over the ti so the xtx has another 20 or more percent on top. His monitor is 100hz so doubt he would feel much difference with the extra fps. Still he said he might gain or atleast break even so no reason not to take the step up.

Soldato
OP
He can't have been that much of an idiot to buy the Ti at launch price so close to next-gen, iirc it was reduced priced or a 3090 RMA replacement.
No, I paid £800 in 2022. Looks like they still sell for around that on Fleabay. At the time I sold my 3080 for £620, so wasnt a bad upgrade. 4090 was just too expensive

Associate
It looks like I could sell my 3090 Ti and buy a 7900 XTX and either break even or make money. At the same time ive never had any issues at all with my 3090 Ti and it sits idle at 26c most of the time.

Monitor wise, im on a 100hz 3400 x 1440 Gsync. Ive downed a few settings to keep everything above 100hz but it was more a Warzone futureproof thing.
Also why not if it doesnt cost anything.
I'm struggling to get my head round why you need to update when you only need to hit 100fps.
Warzone isn't that demanding, surely your 3090 can do 100fps @1440?

Soldato
OP
I'm struggling to get my head round why you need to update when you only need to hit 100fps.
Warzone isn't that demanding, surely your 3090 can do 100fps @1440?
3440 x 1440. It struggled and sometimes dipped to low 50s in action on Rebirth Island.
I lowered some settings as recommended on a youtube vid and it actually looks better and plays much better now.

Yeh, i'll probably stick with my 3090 Ti

Back
Top Bottom