32-36" monitor recommendation

Associate
Asking for advice please from the experts here for a new monitor. A few requirements/thoughts below:

Budget: £800, could stretch a bit more.

Purpose: Work daily, and some gaming. Don't need super-fast refresh rates as I'm not competitive and don't often play FPS - mostly Elite and Star Citizen (so blacks are important), Total War and similar. Bit of FPS getting humiliated by my lad.

Size: I can fit up to a 36" monitor, though doesn't need to be that big. 32" or 34" could be the sweetspot.

Resolution: 4k is nice and my GPU could cope, but 1440p or whatever is fine and it might keep Windows happier, or make running dual monitors easier?

G-Sync: Yes

Curved or flat: Not sure. Never had a curved monitor, and I guess I'd prefer a flat screen but open to advice.

Screen technology: Advice welcome. I've always used IPS but I'm well out of date on all this.

Other stuff: I appreciate solid build quality. Currently use an NEC which is built like a tank.

Contenders: Alienware AW3420DW? An LG jobbie?

All advice gratefully appreciated!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@EsaT
Thanks, yes I reckon 4k is a bit much at this stage. If I could fit it I'd go straight for the 48" LG OLED, but def won't fit in my office.

My office is light in summer (another reason not to go OLED) so sounds like IPS is the way to go.

@GMac11
Would def be interested in your views on the AW3420 yes. To be honest it is looking like a toss-up between this and the Z35p at this point. Not sure about the curve as I said, but that's probably lack of experience.

Cheers all!

Associate
OP
@EsaT that's extremely helpful, thanks. I think I'm veering toward a flat 32" 16:9. As long as G-sync compatible really means that, that is fine by me. Will take a look at the monitors you linked to.

@GMac11 I haven't ruled out the AW34 so interested in your view when you get it.

Not bothered about speakers as I use external ones.

Associate
OP
@Wrinkly - Really useful. That's a contender.

I've narrowed it down to a few, and one of them is a bit left-field:
LG 32GP850 thanks to @Wrinkly
LG 27GP950 - will 4k at 27" be ok?
Asus PG329Q - thanks @EsaT
Benq PD3200U - the left-field option. 32" 4K, a few years old but solid and very well-received. Slow by gaming standards at 60Hz and 4ms, and obviously no G-sync or anything, but no doubt fast enough for me. And ergonomics will be better than the LGs - for a start the ports are on the bottom where they should be!!

Any thoughts?

Associate
OP
After much reading around, I'm leaning towards the Acer Predator XB32U or 27 inch equivalent. In fact, it looks like I can get two of the 27 inches for the price of the 32....

Associate
OP
I have the PG329Q here and whilst it's extremely responsive and a great gaming screen I think you'll need a deeper contrast than these IPS screens offer (I'm not so fussed so it's fine). Excellent for gaming generally though, so so responsive!!

The XB32U is the same panel as the Asus, again I'm just not sure it's going to go dark enough for you...
Thanks, I get your point. Is prefer deeper blacks/higher contrast for sure, but I think I'll be ok. Currently play on an IPS screen with contrast set actually quite low (screen calibrated for editing photos) so I'll see the difference I think even with a gaming focused IPS. For preference I'd use an OLED telly, can't beat perfect blacks, but I can't fit one.

First choice still the XB32U but I still welcome suggestions.

Also considering a G7 but really not sure about the curve.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks @JediFragger and @EsaT, the G7 is not for me then, sadly. Has to be a flat screen. Looking like the Acer or possibly the 32GP850 for a cheaper option. I'm following this forum in the meantime in case any of the UW users convince me!

I'm keeping my NEC PA271 for photo editing and as a second screen.

I'll wait for the 4k market to mature before going that way I think.

Associate
OP
Any modern IPS has lot higher contrast than that NEC and VA isn't needed for improvement in that.
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_pa271w.htm

Tech would be actually mature for 4K monitors:
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_27gn950.htm
That even has proper contrast unlike 2560x1440 resolution panel.
It's like bean counters and marketroids aren't allowing advance and keep reselling same old.

Thanks @EsaT , really useful. And believe it or not I have the contrast calibrated to 250:1 on the NEC. in that case, IPS is the way forward!

Regarding 4K, yes I should have phrased it better. What I meant was the sizes still seem limited unless you pay a lot (or get a TV). If there was a 32" version of the 27GP950 at a reasonable price, I'd get that. Not convinced of the benefits of 4K at a 27" screen size (I know there will be benefits) and I think higher contrast and (ideally) HDR will make enough difference to me for now - especially to the perception of resolution and depth. If the games I play support HDR of course.

@JediFragger thanks, I'll look at the review.

Associate
OP
I actually know someone with 27" 4K monitor.
For text contect to get screen real estate benefit from that higher resolution viewing distance would need to be toward shorter end.

Guess that calibration is to mimic some print process.
"Paper media" doesn't really have that high contrast.
Yes that's right. It's calibrated for paper basically. I have a number of presets but never bother changing. The advantage is that I print using the same ICC profile as the monitor so prints look the same as the screen. I don't print very often, but very useful when I do.

Associate
OP
Currently looking like the 32GP850. I don't think I can justify the price difference to anything else, unless I see a real bargain deal for an Asus PG32 or Acer equivalent. I did wonder if I could stretch (haha) to the LG 38GN850 or Alienware AW38 (currently on Dell for c. £1k) but I still don't see that I can justify double the price for 20% more screen real estate. I'd prefer better build quality than the LG, and think the port positioning is mad, but I think the price is too tempting...

Having said that, just looked at the price history for the Rog - I might wait for a sale. Seems to pretty regularly drop below £600

Edit: Ordered the 32GP850 so will see how I get on.

Thanks everyone for all your help, especially @EsaT , @GMac11 and @JediFragger

@GMac11 be good to hear how you get on with your AW34.Hope it turns out well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom