34" UltraWide decision

Associate
I'm pretty happy with the DELL U3415W, I prefer the curve vs. flat on this size of monitor. It does have a bit of IPS glow but generally it's ok, no dead/stuck pixels and the stand is better than the LG 34UM95

Associate
After 28 days OcUK will not deal with the warranty on monitors so you need to deal with LG.

You need to log an RMA request, they'll take their time responding and then asking for photos of the issue via email. Their system for this is pretty poor so you'll have a back and forth for days (if not weeks and months like I did). Then because it's only a collect-and-return warranty rather than on-site or swap-out you will be without a monitor for potentially 2 weeks or more.

I had to get assistance from the LG account manager for OcUK and even then it has taken over 3 months to get LG to accept the repair.

Not exactly the sort of service you expect when you've spent £800 on a monitor!

Dude you got screwed - I would have forced OCUK to deal with it. I took one retailer to small claims court after a year because of an inherent fault in a projector I bought. The manufacturer, Panasonic tried to tell me it was my fault that it kept breaking so I said ok fine, the retailer is going to have to deal with it - legally it's there responsibility.

The retailer immediately gave me a full refund and asked me at the time to not mention anything on avforums where I had initially posted.

Just read your rights:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product

Also if you buy things on credit card you have another layer of rights with the card company - I even got money back from the Credit Card company for a failed Kickstarter project I backed.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...ur-credit-card-company-about-a-faulty-product

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the info, I probably should have chased OcUK a bit more about this before dealing with LG, I think at the time I was told that if I wanted to return it to OcUK it would be at my own cost plus it would take longer as it would just be getting sent back to LG anyway.

If LG don't sort this out by the end of this week I'll probably get them to give me something in writing and then see if OcUK will sort it out otherwise I'll consider small claims.

Associate
The only negative for me with the Dell is if you get within maybe 1.5 foot or so you lose the images at the edges.

This (I think) is due to the gap between the actual backlight and the layer of the monitor which renders the graphics.

Its like the top layer has all the images on it but is transparent. Without the backlight behind it, it appears as though the edges of the desktop have disappeared. When you are sitting at a normal distance the monitor is excellent.

The curve is hardly noticeable in normal use. I am skeptical about the validity of some peoples comments saying "You can't use photoshop with straight lines" etc. It's just not true.

Coming from a 1080p monitor, the increased resolution is amazing! even videos/images which are small in physical size look fantastic due to the increased pixel count. For me it's similar to the change from crappy resolutions on smartphones to "retina" style resolutions. Everything is much sharper.

Games and 1440p 21:9 content (if you can find some) love this monitor, I have found myself playing random stuff just to enjoy the monitor :D

I think you will get all the advantages with nearly all the ultrawide monitors, as long as they are 1440.

Dell has some light bleed but I don't notice this. I have the brightness down at about 15! Any brighter on all monitors and it tends to give me a headache.

Associate
The only negative for me with the Dell is if you get within maybe 1.5 foot or so you lose the images at the edges.

This (I think) is due to the gap between the actual backlight and the layer of the monitor which renders the graphics.

Its like the top layer has all the images on it but is transparent. Without the backlight behind it, it appears as though the edges of the desktop have disappeared. When you are sitting at a normal distance the monitor is excellent.

The curve is hardly noticeable in normal use. I am skeptical about the validity of some peoples comments saying "You can't use photoshop with straight lines" etc. It's just not true.

Coming from a 1080p monitor, the increased resolution is amazing! even videos/images which are small in physical size look fantastic due to the increased pixel count. For me it's similar to the change from crappy resolutions on smartphones to "retina" style resolutions. Everything is much sharper.

Games and 1440p 21:9 content (if you can find some) love this monitor, I have found myself playing random stuff just to enjoy the monitor :D

I think you will get all the advantages with nearly all the ultrawide monitors, as long as they are 1440.

Dell has some light bleed but I don't notice this. I have the brightness down at about 15! Any brighter on all monitors and it tends to give me a headache.

My understanding is it's an LG panel? The same as 34uc97

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u3415w.htm

"Panel Technology LG.Display AH-IPS"

Last edited:
Associate

For connectivity, you have the option of using DisplayPort 1.2 or HDMI, there are also four USB 3.0 ports and an earphone jack (high-powered speaker also built-in).

Specification:-
- Screen Size Class (diagonal): 34" Curved
- Panel Type: IPS
- Aspect Ratio: 21:9
- Resolution: 3440x1440
- Refresh rate: 100Hz (G-SYNC)
- Brightness (typical): 300 cd/m2
- Contrast Ratio(Original): 100M:1
- Response Time: 4ms
- Viewing Angle (CR>10): 178/178
- Connectivity: 1x HDMI & 1x DisplayPort
- Speakers: 2x 2W

Associate
any decent 34" ultra wides due this year? for free sync?

im seeing a million G-Sync monitors .. which isnt any good to me :(

i am contemplating the 34" acer x34 but seeing the sea of problems etc i am very reserved in spending £750 on a premium monitor with problems that shouldnt really be expecting to see on a top range monitor.

Caporegime
IIRC, LG and AOC will have 34" 1440 freesync screens this year and there are also a few 35" 1080P VA freesync models coming.

AFAIK the only new gsync 34" 1440 monitors we are getting this year is the asus one.

Soldato
OP
Soon as a well priced gsync VA ultrawide comes available I'm on it. Preferably 35 to 37" wide. Again price is key and hopefully the manufacturers will churn out plenty to drive the prices down (a lot hopefully)

Caporegime
Soon as a well priced gsync VA ultrawide comes available I'm on it. Preferably 35 to 37" wide. Again price is key and hopefully the manufacturers will churn out plenty to drive the prices down (a lot hopefully)

I sent my 32 inch benq back...I'm now back to dual monitors until something new comes out...

The 32 inch benq was great but after Superwide it didn't have the wow factor...

I'm just to tight to spend 500 on a monitor now that quite old in terms of tech....

The monitor arena is finally hitting up after being stagnant for years.

Last edited:
Associate
So the Asus overclocks the PG348Q to 100hz, same as the Predator X34. I know it's the same panel but I had hoped they were binning those that could achieve a stable 100hz and only using them.

It will be an Acer and Asus lottery then.

Last edited:
Associate
So the Asus overclocks the PG348Q to 100hz, same as the Predator X34. I know it's the same panel but I had hoped they were binning those that could achieve a stable 100hz and only using them.

It will be an Acer and Asus lottery then.

In my opinion they are binning them and lower rated ones get Freesync board and higher ones G-Sync. When G-Sync ones are selling faster, then that is where they can adjust and put 95Hz or less panels on G-Sync too. If Freesync ones sell well they just put 100Hz on every G-Sync and 90 / 95 Hz into FreeSync monitors.

I know I would do it that way if I was CEO. Although.. Acer should have never advertised it as 100Hz They should've just gone with "75Hz Overlock ready" and that would improve on their return rates and reputation. Now Customers demand 100Hz because it is in product description. Acer should learn marketing from Intel. Advertised 4Ghz but reach 4.4-4.8Ghz => Happy customers & low return rate.

But then again... Acer needs to stand out in monitor market unlike Intel who faces zero competition to their i5 and i7 series.

But that is just my theory and opinion. No idea what it's going to be like with Asus. Perhaps they will pay premium to receive 100Hz panels only? Or use FreeSync for anything bellow 100Hz and constantly change price to help with supply/demand rather than "set price - different OC" that Acer do?

Or.. is every Asus actually going to be 100Hz? I mean they state on their website that the monitor has "very powerful build-in speakers" and then you read it's 2 x 2W LOL.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes G-Sync will be enabled at 60hz, it is the maximum refresh rate that we want to know.

Some suggestions are that Asus will bin the better panels so they can guarantee 100hz however, it looks like they are simply going to do what Acer did with the same screen: pot luck. I guess we cannot be certain until it is released.

Back
Top Bottom