34" UltraWide decision

Soldato
YSome suggestions are that Asus will bin the better panels so they can guarantee 100hz however, it looks like they are simply going to do what Acer did with the same screen: pot luck. I guess we cannot be certain until it is released.

Yeah, I have NO IDEA why people are thinking Asus will treat this monitor any differently. Why exactly would they do that? They didn't do so with the PG279Q, having all the same faults as the XB270HU which was out many months beforehand. I heard it all then, people saying Asus were delaying release to make sure they got it right... HA! The only thing that would give the Asus the edge is if they offer a no dead/stuck pixel policy, which they really should on a £1K monitor!! All the other issues that have affected the X34 though, excessive BLB, not reaching 100Hz and scanlines in some instances... there will be no less chance of encountering these on the PG34.

Personally, as big a fan as I am of the 34" UW format, I just can't stomach any of these current monitors. The tech just doesn't justify the price, and with other monitors due later this year, the likes of the X34/PG34 are going to date and devalue pretty quick, especially once DP 1.3 and Pascal/Polaris are on the scene.

Soldato
Have you heard anything about the Acer XB321HK Legend? I cannot find much information on it.

Not much, and I've no idea what that panel is like, and if it is any less/more prone to the issues we've seen in other IPS panels lately... excessive BLB etc. 4K is a different ballpark though, what with the GPU power required to drive it really well. Paying over a grand seems a bit mad to me, given the limitation of 60Hz. Once DP 1.3 drops, 4K will be able to hit 120Hz. Obviously that means buying into Pascal/Polaris, which won't be cheap, but if anyone is thinking of spending that much on a monitor in the first place, then they can PROBABLY afford it. So unless you have money to burn, I'm not sure I quite see the point of such a monitor at this moment in time.

Associate
Personally, as big a fan as I am of the 34" UW format, I just can't stomach any of these current monitors. The tech just doesn't justify the price, and with other monitors due later this year, the likes of the X34/PG34 are going to date and devalue pretty quick, especially once DP 1.3 and Pascal/Polaris are on the scene.

But even with DP 1.3, it's still same old LCD. Those displays will still devalue quickly as soon as a somewhat affordable OLED drops - which I think is no more than a few years off.

Soldato
But even with DP 1.3, it's still same old LCD. Those displays will still devalue quickly as soon as a somewhat affordable OLED drops - which I think is no more than a few years off.

We'll be stuck with LED for a while. OLED won't be around at an acceptable performance level for at least a few years, and even then the price tag is going to make your eyes bleed. Not something to worry too much about... if you're always looking THAT far ahead, then any and every purchase can be argued against. Pascal/Polaris and DP 1.3 will likely be here by the summer though, which is no time at all. Plus it does potentially offer a BIG performance jump.

Associate
I have not seen OLED TV in person yet but I wonder why does Apple still use IPS in their devices when many others are on AMOLED? Are they just out of date if OLED or AMOLED are so much better?

Associate
I have not seen OLED TV in person yet but I wonder why does Apple still use IPS in their devices when many others are on AMOLED? Are they just out of date if OLED or AMOLED are so much better?

There are rumors they will start using OLED in the iPhone starting 2017

For what it's worth LG is opening up another production facility that same year http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160119PD207.html

Back
Top Bottom