£350 squid...Hmmm, what to get?

Associate
Looking for a new monitor, need help from you guys. Never owned a TFT but think it's about time I got one. Forget about my sig, i'm in the process of building a new rig, probably Opty 175 based system.

Here are my four main uses with percentage /time spent using:

1. Gaming - 50%
2. Internet/Office work - 25%
3. Photoshop - 15%
4. DVD Movies - 10%

Monitor has to be black in colour, and fantistic for gaming, other uses are secondary but I still want to be able to watch movies in okay/good qual (doesn't have to be great)

I am planning on something like a x1800xt or 7800gt (512mb either) single card setup, which I will be upgrading every 9-12months.

I have looked at the 19" and also at the 20.1" widescreen, but was a little concerned with the native res on the 20.1" range. Do gfx cards support his res in games and if so what kind of performance would I get in this res with games like FEAR in max settings?

Soldato
Well if you have to have black get the BenQ while it is on offer, check my other thread about the acer for game performance at it's native res (7800GT 256mb).

Although, I don't know the conversion rate for squids = quids :p So that may be out of your budget ;)

Associate
OP
Right i've read a bit more and I think i'll probably go for a 20.1" Widescreen TFT instead of a std 19" model.

The question is which one, I like the look of the following:

BenQ FP202W

Belinea 102035W

Which one is best or should I be looking elsewhere?

Associate
OP
Raikiri said:
Both pretty good, I think the Belinea has the better panel but also has issues with lightbleed.

Whatever you think is more important
What is the problem with lightbleed, I don't know much about TFT's. Also what's the difference between the panels on these 2

Soldato
Lightbleed is when the backlighting is visible on dark colours/ina dark room. I tcan be very distracting playing games like quake 4, doom 3 or FEAR and the Belinea seems to be particularly bad for it.

The BenQ uses a TN panel which as lower viewing angles and contrast but as far as I know no problems with light bleed, both are 8ms so I don't think you would see ghosting on either (I dont on my acer).

Back
Top Bottom