350D or D50?

Soldato
I'm looking to buy a camera, I'm pretty new to photography in the art side (have over 15,000 happy snap photo's from the last 7 years of my life) but want something to take great pics with.

I'm looking between the Nikon D50 and Canon 350D and veering more towards the Canon. However, my father has a lot of Nikon lenses so it may work out that the Nikon would be better, then I can borrow some of his lenses ;) (it's all semi old Nikon gear, about 5 years old).

I know both are close to each other in terms of performance and features, which would you choose? :confused:

Soldato

Soldato
OP
Thanks for those links, very informative. I'm thinking as the 350d and the d50 are both packed full of settings perhaps it would be better for me to go for something that I can learn on for a year first, then sell on and upgrade to a 350d or d50?

This way I can take some nice pics without getting frustrated by 1000's of settings that are probably in the hundreds of sub menus. Would this be a better way to go? I like to have control over what I'm doing as I like to develop my own style so would be looking for something that I can play with to produce interesting shots but at the same time won't overwhelm me.

Or should I just plunge in to getting the 350d or d50? :rolleyes: :D When I get in to something I tend to learn as much as possible to get the most out so i'm prepared to spend a lot of time teaching myself.

EDIT: I'll pop in to my local No Competitors! FF. tomorrow too and see if I can get my hands on some different cameras.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you can afford it, and think you'll stick with it, then there isn't much point getting a compact camera with manual settings only to stop using it/sell it later on, I bought the s5500 with the idea of getting to grips with it, but it didn't take very long at all, and more recently bought the 350d. If you think it's worth it, then get an SLR, otherwise you'll probabaly end up with "the itch" as many people do. ;)

Associate
I started with a powershot s60 and it was a very decent starter, but I got frustrated by the inability to see focus through a proper viewfinder - it lasted about a year until I got an SLR. However, I still take the powershot everywhere with me - so it's good to learn on a decent compact because you'll always use it in the future because it's so portable!

Associate
SDK^ said:
If I were you though I would get down your local camera store and try out the cameras in your price range

Indeed. Personally Im going D70 but then thats because i have a few nikon mount lenses already.

Soldato
you don't get a 350D and upgrade to a D50
not without changing all your lenses

personally I love my 350D
bought it primarily because I like the lenses you can get both new and 2nd hand
on pure body, the olympus e500 looks nice but the canon was a great all round package
now I have a flash, 4-5 lenses, and a grip plus remote and other toys
the choice isn't there with anything else apart from the nikon
went with the canon purely on feel as I think they're very similar in pure ability

Soldato
OP
Ok, well I went in to No Competitors! FF. today and held them both. Unfortunatly the guy in the shop had no idea about anything. I had to hold both cameras at the same time so couldn't get a real feel. :mad:

Anyway, from the brief play I had I liked them both...

Ideally I'd like the Cannon (I just have a gut instinct to it) but then if my father has a lot of lenses and it's a little cheaper... Maybe the Nikon is the best way to go... :confused:

Associate
Mint_Sauce said:
Ok, well I went in to ****** today and held them both. Unfortunatly the guy in the shop had no idea about anything. I had to hold both cameras at the same time so couldn't get a real feel. :mad:

Anyway, from the brief play I had I liked them both...

Ideally I'd like the Cannon (I just have a gut instinct to it) but then if my father has a lot of lenses and it's a little cheaper... Maybe the Nikon is the best way to go... :confused:

Are the nikon lenses manual or auto focus? If they're manual I think you can get a Nikon > EOS adapter?

Soldato
again I held both and loved the ergonomics of the 350D so much more than the nikon and it did sway my purchase
since have bought a battery grip for the 350D which just improves matters :)

Back
Top Bottom