• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3700+ to Opty 175

Dup

Dup

Soldato
First off, some system specs:

3700+ @ 2.6Ghz,
Asus A8n SLi Premium
2GB Corsair PC3500LL Pro
7900 GTX 512

Obviously the 3700 is a bottle neck of sorts. The system runs well, but can get choked up in 3D max and some games, which are dependant on different aspects of the system, video and cpu.

I would love to switch to C2D, but the cost of new mobo cpu and ram exceeds that of a £150 chip which can keep my system stable for what I use it for at the moment. I intend run a 64 bit OS for Max 9 etc which should speed things up ten fold

Is the 175 worth the £150 over the 3700+? I intend to overclock it to at least 2.6, aiming for 2.8 but don't know the chips capability, but it will run lower voltage than I'm giving the 3700 (about 1.5 iirc)

Soldato
depends what you plan to do mate, tbh bearing in mind most games are still only single thread you probably wont see much of a performance increase, however if you do lots of 3d work or stuff like that then it probably be worth it.. whats your future plans? maybe it would be worth putting the money aside and waiting for a c2d or something upgrade in a few months? :)

good luck

alec

Soldato
Dup said:
First off, some system specs:

3700+ @ 2.6Ghz,
Asus A8n SLi Premium
2GB Corsair PC3500LL Pro
7900 GTX 512

Obviously the 3700 is a bottle neck of sorts. The system runs well, but can get choked up in 3D max and some games, which are dependant on different aspects of the system, video and cpu.

I would love to switch to C2D, but the cost of new mobo cpu and ram exceeds that of a £150 chip which can keep my system stable for what I use it for at the moment. I intend run a 64 bit OS for Max 9 etc which should speed things up ten fold

Is the 175 worth the £150 over the 3700+? I intend to overclock it to at least 2.6, aiming for 2.8 but don't know the chips capability, but it will run lower voltage than I'm giving the 3700 (about 1.5 iirc)
What Res are you running your monitor at?

Back
Top Bottom