38" Wide Monitor Advice

Associate
Hi I need some advice please.
I use a 38" monitor at work, its a dell, not too sure on the spec but it does the trick.
I want to buy one for home, I am looking at the LG 38GN950-B on OCUK
Is this the best monitor around that price range or is there something better value for money?
I will be using it for 2/3 tabs or excel sheets open at a time for work but I also have a PS5 and might give it a go pulling into the monitor, I have only ever played it through a TV.

Thank you for your advice.

Thanks peahead. If you could buy again would it still be the Acer X38S on that budget?
Checking the reviews it looks like the Predator is the one that has the most recommendations.
LG 38GN950-B vs Alienware AW3821DW vs Acer Predator X38S . These are the 3 that keep popping up in the online reviews .

Thanks peahead. If you could buy again would it still be the Acer X38S on that budget?
Checking the reviews it looks like the Predator is the one that has the most recommendations.
LG 38GN950-B vs Alienware AW3821DW vs Acer Predator X38S . These are the 3 that keep popping up in the online reviews .

Yes i would still get the ACER X38S with the LG a very close second, i was put of the Alienware because of the G-Sync fan noise issues which would bug the hell out of me.

If they made a 38" OLED with the same resolution and they could guarantee no burn in then that would be a dream.

Last edited:
Yes i would still get the ACER X38S with the LG a very close second, i was put of the Alienware because of the G-Sync fan noise issues which would bug the hell out of me.

If they made a 38" OLED with the same resolution and they could guarantee no burn in then that would be a dream.
I am extremely picky about noise from my PC. Hence going through 3 different 30-series cards trying to get one without coil-whine...
I like to run my 120/140mm fans in the case at or below 800rpm, and the GPU at around 1000rpm... so things are very quiet.

I have never ever heard the fan in my AW3821DW. Even putting my ear up to it / behind it.

I was very worried about the fan noise, but as said, literally never heard it.

I am very very happy with this monitor. ITs brilliant both for work and play. Highly recommend it.

What swayed me to this over the LG, is the Dell warranty. It comes with 3-year advanced replacement. I have dealt with Dell at work for years, and placed plenty of warranty calls and they are always extremely responsive / easy to deal with. So that gave me peace of mind knowing IF I had any issues with this thing, it would be sorted no problems.

I have an AW3821DW and I have never heard the fan.

It is an exceptional monitor. I was sold on the warranty as well.

I would keep an eye on the sales. I am not sure when Dell will have another sale, but they will reduce the price to about £950. There are also vouchers around you can use at the Dell website to knock the price down further.

Last edited:
I have a feeling the AW3821DW is now EoS. It was down to £750 a few weeks ago and now is no longer listed on the Dell website.

I had one for a few months and loved it for both productivity and gaming. I never heard the Gsync module fan either. HDR however was poor. I swapped it for a Neo G7 as it had a stuck pixel, however the curve on the Samsung is so severe it feels like a 4:3 monitor. I really want to go back to a large UW but it needs to be good for more work than play.

I might look into the Acer X38S. The HDR, although nowhere near as good as the NeoG7 or oled of course is supposed to be decent. I wish we would see some 38" UW screens with FALD backlighting.

I have a feeling the AW3821DW is now EoS. It was down to £750 a few weeks ago and now is no longer listed on the Dell website.

I had one for a few months and loved it for both productivity and gaming. I never heard the Gsync module fan either. HDR however was poor. I swapped it for a Neo G7 as it had a stuck pixel, however the curve on the Samsung is so severe it feels like a 4:3 monitor. I really want to go back to a large UW but it needs to be good for more work than play.

I might look into the Acer X38S. The HDR, although nowhere near as good as the NeoG7 or oled of course is supposed to be decent. I wish we would see some 38" UW screens with FALD backlighting.
Cant imagine the X38S would be worlds better than AW3821DW? Its the same LG panel underneath right? So maybe a bit brighter or the trimmings like OSD / USB ports etc will be the bigger variation.

Was AW3821DW not good enough on the work side?

Does seem like the 38" 3840x1600 market is very niche. I love the res, exactly FOR work reasons. The extra height & width over a 3440x1440 is great. Easily have 3x things side by side.
For gaming / media, 3440x1440 would probably be just as good. Easier on the GPU too.

Could well be. It is aimed at gamers and in that price bracket the AW3423DW(F) has displaced it as the no.1 desirable monitor
Was AW3821DW not good enough on the work side?

Does seem like the 38" 3840x1600 market is very niche. I love the res, exactly FOR work reasons. The extra height & width over a 3440x1440 is great. Easily have 3x things side by side.
For gaming / media, 3440x1440 would probably be just as good. Easier on the GPU too.

The AW38 is a great work monitor. In some respects it was misleading to sell it as a gaming monitor! Sure it has HDR but the contrast really is not good enough for HDR600. It's also pretty difficult to drive. I have an AW3423DWF and that is a much better a gaming monitor. Unfortunately until Microsoft produce fonts for qd-oleds, the AW34 it's not an ideal business monitor. I guess no monitor is perfect in all situations.

Last edited:
Looks like I need to make a decision between one or the other so I won't try any gaming on the monitor, I will use it solely for work.
I am swaying towards the AW3821DW. I also like the idea of the 3 year warranty.
I wanted the 38" to give me the most workable space on the screen but I have never tried a 34" monitor.
Is there any benefits to going for a smaller 34" monitor instead?

Looks like I need to make a decision between one or the other so I won't try any gaming on the monitor, I will use it solely for work.
I am swaying towards the AW3821DW. I also like the idea of the 3 year warranty.
I wanted the 38" to give me the most workable space on the screen but I have never tried a 34" monitor.
Is there any benefits to going for a smaller 34" monitor instead?
I don't think going for an ultrawide makes much sense if you don't plan to game on it, I'd rather get a 32" or 34" 4K screen (then add another later) and get all that useful vertical resolution. I think the physical height of a 32" 16:9 is roughly the same as a 38" 21:9 so it'll look fairly similar in the central portion.

I loved my AW3821DW for work, and if I wasn't gaming, never would have sold it for the AW3423DW. The resolution is really nice, and allows you to have 2x 1080p windows side by side without either straining your eyes (on a 32" 4k) or your neck (on a 42" 4k)

How is the AW3423DW for work? I think that's what I'm torn between the AW3821DW and AW3423DW.
I plan to plug my laptop into the monitors so it wouldn't be any good for gaming. I am going to upgrade my laptop at some point over the next few months but even then I probably wouldn't go for a gaming laptop.
I have a few questions if you don't mind. How would the PS5 be on the 34" would it be better than the 38" as it wouldn't be stretched so much?
How is the 34" for working? Currently at home I have 2 x 21" wide monitors, would it give a similar experience for screen size?
Also, with the Alienware monitors being white and black I can't work out which would look better a black mouse and keyboard set or white. I plan to get myself a new set to go with the monitor and was looking at the Logitech MX range but is there anything else you would recommend?

Last edited:
How is the AW3423DW for work? I think that's what I'm torn between the AW3821DW and AW3423DW.
I plan to plug my laptop into the monitors so it wouldn't be any good for gaming. I am going to upgrade my laptop at some point over the next few months but even then I probably wouldn't go for a gaming laptop.
I have a few questions if you don't mind. How would the PS5 be on the 34" would it be better than the 38" as it wouldn't be stretched so much?
How is the 34" for working? Currently at home I have 2 x 21" wide monitors, would it give a similar experience for screen size?
Also, with the Alienware monitors being white and black I can't work out which would look better a black mouse and keyboard set or white. I plan to get myself a new set to go with the monitor and was looking at the Logitech MX range but is there anything else you would recommend?

I think I said this before but the AW3821DW is a business monitor that's good for gaming whereas the AW3423DW(F) is a gaming monitor that's OK for business. The higher resolution and clear text are undoubtedly better for business but the AW38 lacks the contrast for impressive HDR and has 25% more pixels to drive, so for gaming it's not the better choice. I think it's inevitable that MIcrosoft and the like will sort out the text on the AW3423DW(F) and at that point it will be perhaps be the (very first) choice monitor for all roles, but the question is when? Can you wait that long? Also, both of these monitors are very expensive. Arguable for business you are still better off having two screens because it's cheaper.
I have both of the Alienware monitors and I love them both. I've been using UW since it first came out and I would never buy anything less. The extra width is addictive! I use the AW3821DW for work and browsing. I use the AW3423DWF for games. I think you just have to decide where your priority lies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom