3900X strange temps

Associate
Hi all

I have updated my system and I am having some temp problems, especially when idle or performing light tasks.

CPU: Ryzen 3900X
Cooler: Scyth Fuma 2 (paste used: Noctua NT-H1)
MB: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite

No overclocking or bios changes, only changed XMP for the RAM.

The temp is constantly jumping up and down. I know spikes are normal, but not like this. I have to leave the PC alone for a long time get it to settle and the temp will drop down under 40c, still with brief spikes up til 60c. Always at least 3600 MHz.

When just surfing the web or performing light tasks, the cpu will stay in the 40-50’s, sometimes spiking over 60c.

The CPU will hit around 75-76c when performing Cinebench multiple times in a row. It does not boost higher than 4.0 GHZ, giving a result around 7000 points.

As a result of these high and unstable temps, the cooler is constantly revving up and down and being quite noisy most of the time.

I have noticed that the vcore is 1,45-1,50 much of time when idle/light tasks, but when under load it will drop to 1,25’ish.

Open or closed case, doesn’t matter.

Both BIOS and AMD Drivers are updated to newest.
Tried re-installing windows.

If I change power plan to “windows power saving” there is a drop in MHz to 2200 and vcore 0,95. There seems to be little difference from the Ryzen and Windows balanced plan.

I would really appreciate your help – let me know if you want to see different measurements.

Have a nice evening.

Cold start idle 5 min: https://imgur.com/gmuB77x
Cinebench load: https://imgur.com/Ftbz7nX
Idle 5 min after Cinebench: https://imgur.com/vtznpRA
Fan curve: https://imgur.com/FJDtcZq

Associate
OP
Welcome to AMD! This is not really anything out of the ordinary and everything seems fine. Enjoy your new system and ignore the bouncy temp.

In that case, I really need to adjust the fan curve greatly as it is way to noisy and inconsistent.

Tried changing the minimal processor state on the Ryzen plan to 5% (normal 99%) and that has done the trick with lovering the Mhz to 2200 Mhz when idle and dropping the voltage. Not sure how much the temps have changed.

Is it normal that the CPU only boosts to 4.0 Ghz running Cinebench? When googling it seems that many people ask the same question but with 4.2 Ghz...

Associate
In that case, I really need to adjust the fan curve greatly as it is way to noisy and inconsistent.

Tried changing the minimal processor state on the Ryzen plan to 5% (normal 99%) and that has done the trick with lovering the Mhz to 2200 Mhz when idle and dropping the voltage. Not sure how much the temps have changed.

Is it normal that the CPU only boosts to 4.0 Ghz running Cinebench? When googling it seems that many people ask the same question but with 4.2 Ghz...

I changed my fan curve to reduce the constant wind up and down. CB scores take a lot of tweaking to get right. Are you on the latest bios/chipset/windows updates? Thermal throttling is not an uncommon thing with these chips (I have a 3900x too).

Associate
OP
I changed my fan curve to reduce the constant wind up and down. CB scores take a lot of tweaking to get right. Are you on the latest bios/chipset/windows updates? Thermal throttling is not an uncommon thing with these chips (I have a 3900x too).

Latest bios and drivers yes.

I am still unconvinced that this is normal but will have to do further testning tomorrow.

Associate
Latest bios and drivers yes.

I am still unconvinced that this is normal but will have to do further testning tomorrow.

Not boosting over 4 Ghz is a bit odd but I suspect that is thermal throttling. I seem to recall that the chips will start to cut back around 65-70C. 7000 is not a terrible score, not great, but not too far out. I have a better cooler and I think I get around 7200. Look at the average temps and not so much the peak, as I said before these new AMD chips will bounce a lot but the average should be low. Under light loads a quick stint at 1.5V is normal.

Soldato
Temps are perfectly normal for a ryzen CPU running default or pbo, I find an all core OC gives me a more steady temp range at idle although you would probably have to give up a bit of single core boost for this but would gain multi core performance.

Man of Honour
I'm running the 3900X with the Noctua NH-D15, and that also jumps around in temps and fan speeds, it's done this on multiple different Ryzen CPU & motherboard setups, it's perfectly normal.

What I've done to reduce the noise so far is reducing the voltage to the CPU cooler fans via the cables that Noctua supply so they are a lot quieter, also I've set a negative voltage offset in the BIOS for the CPU so that when it boosts under full load it doesn't get as hot, thus a bit quieter again, this has dropped my temps by approx 5°C and improved my boosts & CB20 scores :)

Associate
I'm running the 3900X with the Noctua NH-D15, and that also jumps around in temps and fan speeds, it's done this on multiple different Ryzen CPU & motherboard setups, it's perfectly normal.

What I've done to reduce the noise so far is reducing the voltage to the CPU cooler fans via the cables that Noctua supply so they are a lot quieter, also I've set a negative voltage offset in the BIOS for the CPU so that when it boosts under full load it doesn't get as hot, thus a bit quieter again, this has dropped my temps by approx 5°C and improved my boosts & CB20 scores :)

Can you explain better how you are reducing your voltage? I would like to do this myself with my 3900x.

Associate
OP
Not boosting over 4 Ghz is a bit odd but I suspect that is thermal throttling. I seem to recall that the chips will start to cut back around 65-70C. 7000 is not a terrible score, not great, but not too far out. I have a better cooler and I think I get around 7200. Look at the average temps and not so much the peak, as I said before these new AMD chips will bounce a lot but the average should be low. Under light loads a quick stint at 1.5V is normal.

It's not a quick stint. Under the slightest load, the vcore will stay at 1.4-1.5 and temps will rise be in the range of 50c to 75c
Only when completely idle and after a settling down period will it drop to 0.9-1.0.

Temps are perfectly normal for a ryzen CPU running default or pbo, I find an all core OC gives me a more steady temp range at idle although you would probably have to give up a bit of single core boost for this but would gain multi core performance.

I have seen this "PBO" mentioned before but have not been able to find it in my BIOS ? Should I disable it and where to find?

Could you guide me to make a safe setting in BIOS - I have seen others do the same all core OC with either offset or fixed volt.

My problem is not so much when under full load - I expect the fans to be louder when gaming or pressuring the system.
It's when doing light tasks that the problem is.

Sitting here, writing this post, watching a youtube video and steam downloading a game, the temp is jumping like crazy between 50c to 75c. Even though I have adjusted the fan curve greatly, the fans are still revving up and down and it is annoying at an unacceptable level. If this is normal, I will have to find another cooling solution.

Screen of light load as mentioned: https://imgur.com/UcgnkAq

My Bios: https://imgur.com/4D0wvid and https://imgur.com/LvlSn4K

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
Associate
OP
My fan is going like this constantly: https://youtu.be/UzZnZ2VX4PA

Edit: It settled down when steam finished installation of a game. But is that really a sufficient load to be acceptable for temps in the 60/70's and a fan going up and down like that?

Last edited:
Associate
My fan is going like this constantly: https://youtu.be/UzZnZ2VX4PA

Edit: It settled down when steam finished installation of a game. But is that really a sufficient load to be acceptable for temps in the 60/70's and a fan going up and down like that?

It is quite normal for Ryzen to do this and that is why you just set your fan curve to keep it going at a respectable RPM all the time. If you have quiet fans you should still not even hear them.

Associate
OP
It is quite normal for Ryzen to do this and that is why you just set your fan curve to keep it going at a respectable RPM all the time. If you have quiet fans you should still not even hear them.

The Scyth Fuma 2 is reviewed as a quite silent cooler but it is quite noticeable as you can hear in the video.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/scythe-fuma-2-dual-tower-cpu-cooler/7.html

So it is normal to be in the temp range of 60-75c just by installing a game? In that case I should make a fan curve that only ramps up the fans at 65c+ or maybe even higher?

My old system was a i3570 @4,4Ghz cooled by the Hyper 212 Evo on the standard curve and I never noticed it. This is much more noisy (when ramping up)

Last edited:
Associate
The Scyth Fuma 2 is reviewed as a quite silent cooler but it is quite noticeable as you can hear in the video.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/scythe-fuma-2-dual-tower-cpu-cooler/7.html

So it is normal to be in the temp range of 60-75c just by installing a game? In that case I should make a fan curve that only ramps up the fans at 65c+ or maybe even higher?

My old system was a i3570 @4,4Ghz cooled by the Hyper 212 Evo on the standard curve and I never noticed it. This is much more noisy (when ramping up)

My fan curve is set for 65 plus I think and what you are seeing is quite normal even for installing a game. As long as you stay below 80C I would not be all that concerned and look at the average temps to get an idea on how hot your system is running. Personally I use HWinfo64 because it has all the info I will ever need and it is quite minimal.

Associate
OP
My fan curve is set for 65 plus I think and what you are seeing is quite normal even for installing a game. As long as you stay below 80C I would not be all that concerned and look at the average temps to get an idea on how hot your system is running. Personally I use HWinfo64 because it has all the info I will ever need and it is quite minimal.

Okay thank you, I will try that.

Could I get you to post your curve? I know the coolers are not identical but just to get an idea of it.

Coming from an old intel cpu that only went over 60c under heavy load, the thought of having a light load causomg temps in the 70's is gonna take som time to get used to :p

Associate
It could be interesting to compare fan curves and temps if you are also running ryzen 3xxx
yes it would ...will do when i get my cooler in stalled,
here is my spec
CPU AMD RYZEN 3600
MOTHERBOARD...B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
GPU radeon rx 590 gaming 8gb
corsair lpx RAM.. DD4 2X8 16 GB 3200MHZ
psu corsair rm750x

Back
Top Bottom