• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3950X Upgrade to 5950X ???

Associate
I have an AMD 3950X and I'm thinking of upgrading to a 5950X, is it worth it?

I can obviously get a little money back from selling the 3950X, but looking at the specs, all I can see is the clock rate is slightly higher, all the other basic stuff is the same.

From what I can see the next AMD CPU will have a different socket, so the upgrade path for a CPU, stops with the 5950X.

The other option is to wait for the release of the next AMD CPU and get a new motherboard/CPU and DDR 5 RAM??

What do you think?

Soldato
Wont Zen 3+ with the new 3D Cache be on the same socket and Zen 4 on a new socket in Late 2022.

The 3D Cache is very interesting to myself, i would love to get one but will hold out for Zen 4 or see what intel does in the next year

Associate
Only you can tell if its worth it, depends on what you use it for and your budget constraints.

5950X offers more than just higher clocks.
Clocks are awesome, hitting 5GHz at light loads. But improved IPC gain adds even more.
Games will love both aspects, especially paired with top end card like 6900XT.

If you don't actually need 16cores, consider 5800X, will give you most of the good stuff

Next gen AMD is 6-9 months away (my crystal ball says july 2022).
3D cache models on AM4, nothing is actually known for certain. May be a backup plan if Alder Lake is too good.

Soldato
I have an AMD 3950X and I'm thinking of upgrading to a 5950X, is it worth it?

I can obviously get a little money back from selling the 3950X, but looking at the specs, all I can see is the clock rate is slightly higher, all the other basic stuff is the same.

From what I can see the next AMD CPU will have a different socket, so the upgrade path for a CPU, stops with the 5950X.

The other option is to wait for the release of the next AMD CPU and get a new motherboard/CPU and DDR 5 RAM??

What do you think?

I was in the same boat as you for a long time. In my case the wait for a 5950x was long because for a long time you simply couldn't buy one.
With the move to Zen4 happening at the same time as DDR5, i never planned on moving from Zen3 anyway after getting a 5950x. The move to DDR5 in particular will be painful (think compatibility, timmings and speed here).
That's why i will be staying with my 5950x for at least another couple of years, if not longer.
I don't know what a 3950x goes for now second hand, but i would defo go for a 5950x and then hang on to it until DDR5 is well settled in.

Soldato
With a 5950X you will be looking at an average of around 5% more fps at 1440p and about 10-15% in productivity workloads.

Soldato
Ok Mrs mis-information. I’d say your figures are worse cases at beast.
Realistic I'd say from my experience of jumping from zen2 to zen3.

Anyways my advice would be to wait for the 3D stacked V-cache versions of the 5950X which are supposed to be a 15% uplift over the vanilla 5950X or AM5 next year which could be around a 40% uplift.

Soldato
Realistic I'd say from my experience of jumping from zen2 to zen3.

Anyways my advice would be to wait for the 3D stacked V-cache versions of the 5950X which are supposed to be a 15% uplift over the vanilla 5950X or AM5 next year which could be around a 40% uplift.

If that is your advice, then obviously you have some some very secret information that even the normal leak sources from AMD don't have ? As you obviously are not under any NDA...................give us the details ?

No ?........................................i wait with baited breath for proof of a 40% uplift......................you are talking the usual bulls droppings.

Soldato
As someone who upgraded from a 3950x to a 5950x, I can easily say - don't waste your money.

I fully regret getting the 5950x, its not worth it

Soldato
If that is your advice, then obviously you have some some very secret information that even the normal leak sources from AMD don't have ? As you obviously are not under any NDA...................give us the details ?

No ?........................................i wait with baited breath for proof of a 40% uplift......................you are talking the usual bulls droppings.
It's not secretive info but rather common sense because if AMD are getting 15% from the V-cache alone then surely Zen 4 on the improved 5nm process should be another 20-25% which would put it around 40% faster than the current 5950X.

If it isn't then Intel will likely be back in front by the time raptorlake releases next year.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not secretive info but rather common sense because if AMD are getting 15% from the V-cache alone then surely Zen 4 on the improved 5nm process should be another 20-25% which would put it around 40% faster than the current 5950X.

If it isn't then Intel will likely be back in front by the time raptorlake releases next year.

Raptor lake would have to be more more than twice Intel’s current performance. If AMD can find 40% and move to a 16 core die Intel might as well close its doors.

Intel are pushing GPU’s until 2025 and hope to have its fabs sorted out by then. They have already told us this.

Soldato
Raptor lake would have to be more more than twice Intel’s current performance. If AMD can find 40% and move to a 16 core die Intel might as well close its doors.

Intel are pushing GPU’s until 2025 and hope to have its fabs sorted out by then. They have already told us this.

Raptorlake is supposed to have 24 cores so should be atleast double what Intel can currently get atleast in MT, we will have to wait and see though but I still expect Zen 4 to win as I think a 40% increase over the the current 5000 series is definetly doable and if the V-cache chips are supposed to be 15% and still on 7nm then there is no way Zen 4 on 5nm will only be just 5-10% faster than these.

Soldato
Raptorlake is supposed to have 24 cores so should be atleast double what Intel can currently get atleast in MT, we will have to wait and see though but I still expect Zen 4 to win as I think a 40% increase over the the current 5000 series is definetly doable and if the V-cache chips are supposed to be 15% and still on 7nm then there is no way Zen 4 on 5nm will only be just 5-10% faster than these.

Have you even looked into V-cache past that slide which showed an average* of a 15% uplift of 5 games?

Intel need 16c 32t chips and a interconnect system to at least double core count by last year. Come Zen 4 that will likely be 32c 64c. Those kinds of parts cannot be built at Intel even if Intel have the designs finalised and ready to go.

Intel are getting beat by a factor of 2 from Zen 2 EPYC 3 is here and soon after Zen 3.5 and 4 will land. Intel are a long way behind.

Back
Top Bottom