3D printing services

Soldato
Can anyone recommend an online 3D printing service. Looking to get a model printed around 4-6 inches but have no idea how much this costs or where to start. I would like something that is pretty high quality too.

I have a model in mind from thingiverse so that's covered.

Soldato
https://www.3dhubs.com/

Very popular service that puts you in touch with a local printer.

You can link/upload thingy verse files, specify a quality and then you should get a quote.

I've only used it once myself but had two pairs of lens adaptors for a Vive headset printed and it was just a few pounds for those.

Associate
I've used 3DHubs a lot in the past with some mixed results.

It used to be great, you could select a persons 'hub' based on their reviews/services but they recently removed that, you're now 'allocated' someone. I've run the same design twice now through two different people and the second was nowhere near as good as the first print with the same settings.

If you're happy with the result and trust them, see if you can grab their email and get work done outside of 3DHubs (this is what I've now done) - It's cheaper too as 3DHubs don't take a commission.

Soldato
Printable IF you add a butt ton of supports. I wouldn't, unless I had a dual nozzle setup and soluble support material.
wARFGG.png

sbgtbhtbh.png
The guy that made it really should've separated it into parts.

Associate
Looks like a resin printer job.
There are no makes of it, which is never a great sign. If it even could be printed with filament type printer it would need to be printed in parts and glued.
a FDM type printer (like a common hobbyist) printer could work with soluble support, but other technologies might be ok off the bat, eg. SLS or a Zcorp printer.

In the past (for work) I've used:
https://i.materialise.com/en
probably not the cheapest, but have LOADS of kit and can get an instant online quote to get an idea how much each technology will cost. More setup for professional 3d print services than a hobbyist service, but it's free to upload a model and get a quote, as a rough idea...

but, I'd guess it won't be cheap... If the person than created the 3d data expected it to be printed in a cost effective manner they should have split it up and added features for it to mate together.

Soldato
OP
Just a wee update, I've given 3DHubs a go (in case this helps anyone else).

Shapeways wanted around £50 for the one model and it would have been a matte textured plastic of an unknown resolution.

3Dhubs have quoted £20 for the same model SLA resin printed with 50 micron resolution. There is also a code for $10 off so I ended up ordering two models. I'll update the thread when I know how they have turned out.

Caporegime
Just a wee update, I've given 3DHubs a go (in case this helps anyone else).

Shapeways wanted around £50 for the one model and it would have been a matte textured plastic of an unknown resolution.

3Dhubs have quoted £20 for the same model SLA resin printed with 50 micron resolution. There is also a code for $10 off so I ended up ordering two models. I'll update the thread when I know how they have turned out.

Yes resin is the only real viable option. Tempted by one myself

Back
Top Bottom