3dfx Voodoo 5 5550 PCI Fan Replacement

GeX

GeX

Soldato
The bearings in the fans on my Voodoo 5 were shot, and they didn't respond to being greased.
As I use this card, they needed replacing.

Starting point;

0p3DnRql.jpg

Off with the stock fans;

LLSZ1PSl.jpg

It uses Aavid 1447122 0.13A 5V 40mm fans that are around 8mm high.

sOyxho9l.jpg

I couldn't any like for like replacements so went with some Noctua NF-A4x10s. These are 40mm,
5V 0.05A and 10mm high.

BuVoE10l.jpg

All the parts that come with the fan, and none of it is any use. That's gone in the parts bin for later.

They do look higher, and will mean I can't use the slot next to the card but then I wasn't anyway
as I want good airflow to to the card as they do run hot.

RPz7Tppl.jpg

As expected, the fans come with the normal 'PC' 3 pin headers and these are too big for the
Voodoo 5. It uses JST PH2.0 3 pin connectors. I have pair of crimpers and a box of connectors
so I trimmed the wires and fitted the required plugs;

zcem3RJl.jpg

The new fans use 0.08A less current than the stock fans according to the specs, so should not
risk the fan power on the board - but I wanted to double check;

E51R0K9l.jpg
kX2aAhil.jpg

Near enough, and certainly less. Odd effect of the shutter speed / LED on the PSU there too.

The original screws were too short, and nothing the Noctuas came with were suitable for mounting
the fans - so I bought from black M3 12mm self tapping screws from an RC car parts seller on
eBay.

LmYfsqNl.jpg

The result. Should keep it nice and cool. I have, of course, kept the stock fans and they can be
put back on if the card is taken out of use.

Back
Top Bottom