4 Season Sleeping bag.

Associate
Just back from 2 days in the Cairngorms and realised how inadequate my Snugpak Softie 10 was.
Had this in some pretty horrendous conditions and survived , but it was only -3 on Sunday and my normal sleeping gear ( long thermals) didnt work , had to put a jumper on to get back to sleep.
So narrowed it down to 2 bags:

Mountain Equipment Aurora IV -10/-18 comfort/limit , 2kg
Snugpak Softie 12 -10/-15 comfort/limit, 2kg

Yes heavy and bulky but not as susceptible to damp as down in the UK's special weather
Both can be had for around £150

Associate
OP
Presumably you’ve looked at Alpkit?

Was tempted by the Skyehigh 900 XL -6/-13 1.46kg, but the XL version has the same amount of down as the REG version so presume it will be more like a -3/-10 temp rating.
It says good for Scottish Winters , but is that snowy winters or horizontal lashing rain winters.
Pushing my budget up a bit to £215 as well , although would pay the extra if it performs.

Bit of a weight saving 1/2 kg and lot smaller pack size , but think i have to go to the XL goose down bags to really half the weight but then they are twice the price of the synthetic bags.

Should add that my winter rucksack and gear weighs in at around 25kg , so 1kg either way is not going to matter .

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ended up getting the British medium weight sleeping bag in large , didnt even know you could get these brand new for £45.
By the looks of the specs online it shouldnt be much of larger pack size than the Snugpak Softie 10 and around 2kg .
Doing the West Highland way in 3 days at the beginning of April so with luck the weather will be brutal.

Back
Top Bottom