£400 spec check

Associate
Hi all,

I've got a non-techy friend who wants my help to put together a reasonably decent gaming rig on a budget of £400.

I suggested saving the i5 2310, 8gb RAM and optical drive from his old, bricked Dell pc, getting a cheap sandybridge motherboard, and putting it together in a Lian-Li case of mine which I no longer require.

That leaves money for a decent GFX card, PSU and an SSD for his copy of Windows (can get a cheap HDD for volume storage later).

With that in mind, my suggested remaining spec looks like this. A quick glance to suggest any glaring errors or hardware conflicts would be appreciated.

pcspec.jpg

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses guys, from your suggestions I will definitely:

- Switch the Freezer Pro 7 for the Alpenfohn Civetta
- Switch the Samsung SSD for the Toshiba

Think I will also switch the Corsair for the Be Quiet as it has 2 12v rails and a newer/more efficient/quieter design and is modular (though I believe the Corsair is also modular?)

Obviously a nice cost benefit to go with either of the ATI cards at £50 less than the 760, but out of curiosity, is that purely an issue of budget? I would have though the 760 would outperform the 7850 / 7870 but haven't been following many benchmarks lately. Though I do appreciate that it's the old CPU which will be the limiting factor in this build :)

Thanks very much for all your help guys :)

Back
Top Bottom