• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

£400 to buy a new CPU

Associate
5600x would be very good and probably still overkill for many years even if you upgrade your GPU to a high end card. I have a 3600XT and very happy with it (seems noticeably better than the 3600)and often have a monitor in the background showing how many threads are in use and typically only 4 out of the 12 threads are used at any moment. However saying that, I recently built my son a pc and as he will be away at uni and I wont have the opportunity (or his permission to fiddle with it) then I went straight for the 5900X to last >8 years! The 5900X is totally overkill but most of us cant resist and you will not have to upgrade the cpu ever again (unless at the start of next year you go for the 5900XT 3d chip).

Soldato
Nice replies in this thread, thanks for the tips.

Also looking to build up a Ryzen rig to finally retire the i5 Sandybridge from gaming duties, should I ever get home from working abroad :D

Caporegime
The guy doesn't need a 12 core CPU, Good Grief guys stop it :p

This is more than enough, Ryzen 5600X https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-3cc-am.html
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite V2, great board, £140 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...2-amd-am4-b550-atx-motherboard-mb-593-gi.html

Comes to £390 for the board and CPU, that CPU will run an RTX 3090 at any resolution no problem.

Edit:

MSI B450 gaming carbon pro OC

I'm not sure but i think this board is Zen 3 ready?

Soldato
It came out before Zen3.
But support in BIOS or no support doesn't really matter.
It has USB BIOS Flashback allowing updating to latest BIOS even if user didn't have previous supported CPU to do BIOS update.

Associate

The B450 Carbon Pro is not Zen 3-compatible out of the box, but yes, there is an official BIOS update that support Zen 3. In fact, the MSI b450/x470 "Pro" versions are considered the best previous gen AM4 boards since they retain better Zen backwards-compatibility than other mobos since they have a full 16MB BIOS chip (as opposed to other b450/x470s that don't have the memory to fully support all prior Zen CPUs + Zen 3.

Associate
The B450 Carbon Pro is not Zen 3-compatible out of the box, but yes, there is an official BIOS update that support Zen 3. In fact, the MSI b450/x470 "Pro" versions are considered the best previous gen AM4 boards since they retain better Zen backwards-compatibility than other mobos since they have a full 16MB BIOS chip (as opposed to all other b450/x470s that only have 8MB and cannot fully support all prior Zen CPUs + Zen 3). Also, and I'm assuming, the actual update operation may be simpler for that reason. [/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom