£400 to upgrade. Cpu, Gpu or wait.....

Soldato
Ok I have £400 I want to spend on pc.
I am loving far cry 6 , sometimes game gets a little laggy @1440p. Not often as 3070 but..I'd like it a little smoother.
I do have it on ultra everything, whats the point in not eh.

Sell 3700x and get 5700x,,800,900x ?
sell 3070 and get 3080 12gb ?
or..wait for new Ryzen out soon....???

What would you guys and gals do?
(I don't put on the high res textures as lack of vram but that's not my main aim as I say every now and then a little laggy.)

Im interested. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I am loving far cry 6 , sometimes game gets a little laggy. Not often as 3070 but..I'd like it a little smoother.

You need to find what is causing the lag. Is it your CPU or GPU?

I do have it on ultra everything, whats the point in not eh.

If you dial down the settings you may not notice the difference in visual quality.

What would you guys and gals do?

Find where the bottleneck is.

Associate
The upgrade form 3700x to a 5000 series cpu is a worthwhile upgrade and something you may do in the end anyway. Maybe wait for a host of 5800x to hit the second hand market when AM5 is released in Sept.

The 3080 12gb is a great card and significantly faster than a 3070 at 4k but it is very late in the 3000s series life to be making that upgrade and I would wait for next gen gpus.

Soldato
OP
You need to find what is causing the lag. Is it your CPU or GPU?

If you dial down the settings you may not notice the difference in visual quality.

Find where the bottleneck is.

Yes Good to know where the bottleneck is mate. When i say it lags just the frames go a bit jerky, the cpu isn't anywhere near 100% ,but I have heard now that it doesn't have to be at 100% to be the limiting factor. I think I'll wait next month and see how the new ryzens fair.

Last edited:
Associate
You won’t notice a difference between high and ultra settings and it’ll improve your fps a lot.

Suggest you try that and then see if you still want an upgrade.

The 3080 12 gig is also very expensive for what it is and you’d be better off waiting for the next gen. It was literally a money grab by Nvidia during the shortage.

Soldato
OP
You won’t notice a difference between high and ultra settings and it’ll improve your fps a lot.

Suggest you try that and then see if you still want an upgrade.

The 3080 12 gig is also very expensive for what it is and you’d be better off waiting for the next gen. It was literally a money grab by Nvidia during the shortage.

Do you reckon it'll be like before where it was practically impossible to get the new gen or was it totally because of the pandemic?

Associate
The shortage was primarily because of the mining idiocy. Millions of cards were diverted to that ecosystem destroying waste of time and without that it would not have been as bad as it was. The pandemic did not help but I believe mining was the main problem

Lots of rumours about the next gen and they are likely to be very fast , very power hungry and very expensive. AMD have said to expect the cost to be a tier higher than this current gen, we will have to wait and see.
The cost may make them more available because the cost of living crisis will even affect PC component sales.

Associate
or..wait for new Ryzen out soon....???
On Aug. 29, AMD plans on unveiling its next-generation PC products, including the Zen 4 architecture for the Ryzen 7000 CPU series.

The “together we advance_PCs” event will be live streamed on AMD's YouTube channel(Opens in a new window). The proceedings will kick off at 7 p.m. EST that Monday night, and feature speakers including AMD CEO Lisa Su and The “together we advance_PCs” event will be live streamed on AMD's YouTube channel(Opens in a new window). The proceedings will kick off at 7 p.m. EST that Monday night, and feature speakers including AMD CEO Lisa Su and CTO Mark Papermaster. .

I wonder if CTO Mark Papermaster will be doing the paper launch two weeks later or the thing will be in stock.

Officially, AMD has only said the Ryzen 7000 CPUs will go on sale before the end of September. The latest rumors(Opens in a new window) suggest the company is delaying the launch date from Sept. 15 to Sept. 27. Stay tuned for our coverage and reviews.

From https://www.pcmag.com/news/amd-to-unveil-next-gen-ryzen-cpus-on-aug-29

Soldato
OP
The shortage was primarily because of the mining idiocy. Millions of cards were diverted to that ecosystem destroying waste of time and without that it would not have been as bad as it was. The pandemic did not help but I believe mining was the main problem

Lots of rumours about the next gen and they are likely to be very fast , very power hungry and very expensive. AMD have said to expect the cost to be a tier higher than this current gen, we will have to wait and see.
The cost may make them more available because the cost of living crisis will even affect PC component sales.
I didn't know that..they're going to be a tier higher in cost, they're already expensive.:(

Associate
I didn't know that..they're going to be a tier higher in cost, they're already expensive.:(

If we look back then the 980ti and 1080 were both around £400 on launch. The 1080ti was a step up at £600+, great card but this was the first real price increase for a top tier gpu for a long time. This was then followed by the stupidely overpriced 2080/2080ti and these did not sell well for a variety of reasons , good cards but not enough of a boost over a 1080ti to be worthwhile and they were just overpriced so they sold relatively poorly. I had never paid over £200 for a gpu until I bought a 1080 for £400, real kick in the teeth but I glad I did because the first mining wave came right after and nothing was available for a year.

The 3080 release was a return to the £650 price point and if you could actually get your hands on a card for this price they were incredible value for money. The poor sales for the 2080ti is the most likely reason for this price drop or maybe they knew AMDs RDNA2 was going to be competitive but it doesnt really matter why.

Now onto the 4000 series cards coming soon. Built on TSMC 5nm process, great but expensive and TSMC pushed the price up for these wafers. Monolithic die so you lose more chips per die than smaller gpus die. Assume a large framebuffer of expensive GDDR. I assume Nvidia knew they underpriced the 3000 series card. Not going to be cheap is my thoughts for these upcoming cards.

AMD RDNA3. Multi-chip gpus for the first time, lot of silicon in these chips and every single transistor has a cost. Also on TSMC 5nm so expensive , huge framebuffer expected and thats is costly as well. May be awesome , may be terrible , may be somewhere in between or a mix of all 3 depending on the game. I really hope NV and AMD are neck and neck performance wise because that helps keep prices down. If one team has a large advantage they take the opportunity to make more profits and that not good for us the consumers.

Will we see a situation similar to the 3070 matching the 2080ti in performance for half the price? I just do not know but I doubt it because I am expecting the 4070 to not be £450 like the 3070 was and I am thinking it will be closer to £600 with the 4080 being £800+ on launch. Last I heard the 4090 was going to come first so we can more accureatly predict the rest of the cards once we have a price for that one.

One last thing. Pricing is starting to be leaked for AMD 7000 series cpus and they are approx 10-15% higher than the 5000 chips. Is also on the TSMC 5nm node iirc so its not a cheap process to use.

Soldato
OP
If we look back then the 980ti and 1080 were both around £400 on launch. The 1080ti was a step up at £600+, great card but this was the first real price increase for a top tier gpu for a long time. This was then followed by the stupidely overpriced 2080/2080ti and these did not sell well for a variety of reasons , good cards but not enough of a boost over a 1080ti to be worthwhile and they were just overpriced so they sold relatively poorly. I had never paid over £200 for a gpu until I bought a 1080 for £400, real kick in the teeth but I glad I did because the first mining wave came right after and nothing was available for a year.

The 3080 release was a return to the £650 price point and if you could actually get your hands on a card for this price they were incredible value for money. The poor sales for the 2080ti is the most likely reason for this price drop or maybe they knew AMDs RDNA2 was going to be competitive but it doesnt really matter why.

Now onto the 4000 series cards coming soon. Built on TSMC 5nm process, great but expensive and TSMC pushed the price up for these wafers. Monolithic die so you lose more chips per die than smaller gpus die. Assume a large framebuffer of expensive GDDR. I assume Nvidia knew they underpriced the 3000 series card. Not going to be cheap is my thoughts for these upcoming cards.

AMD RDNA3. Multi-chip gpus for the first time, lot of silicon in these chips and every single transistor has a cost. Also on TSMC 5nm so expensive , huge framebuffer expected and thats is costly as well. May be awesome , may be terrible , may be somewhere in between or a mix of all 3 depending on the game. I really hope NV and AMD are neck and neck performance wise because that helps keep prices down. If one team has a large advantage they take the opportunity to make more profits and that not good for us the consumers.

Will we see a situation similar to the 3070 matching the 2080ti in performance for half the price? I just do not know but I doubt it because I am expecting the 4070 to not be £450 like the 3070 was and I am thinking it will be closer to £600 with the 4080 being £800+ on launch. Last I heard the 4090 was going to come first so we can more accureatly predict the rest of the cards once we have a price for that one.

One last thing. Pricing is starting to be leaked for AMD 7000 series cpus and they are approx 10-15% higher than the 5000 chips. Is also on the TSMC 5nm node iirc so its not a cheap process to use.
Thanks for all that, I had a good read. :)

Food for thought for sure!

Back
Top Bottom