• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 or 7900XTX

Associate
Hi guys,

I've just built a new system which is AMD 7700X and 32Gigs of RAM and now I'm looking for a new graphics card. I was initially looking at the 7900XTX nitro at £1130 as was tempted by the speed, value and the VRAM is definitely a factor too. However, I see that I could get a 4080 for a comparable price. This seems to be faster at Ray Tracing, has DLSS3, but less RAM. I'm not bothered about the AMD vs NVIDIA stuff. I just want to get the best GPU for my system. I currently play at 1440, but am moving up to 4K. So, I'm looking for any help and advice. What are your opinions?

What games do you play, also do you value ray tracing
I play pretty much anything to be fair. My main games recently have been XCOM, Control, Resident Evil and Cyberpunk. I guess I look at Ray tracing as nice to have and looks good when implemented properly but not necessarily a deal breaker. I guess one of my main concerns is the whole RAM debate. That's what initially made me look at the 7900XTX. Seeing that the two cards are on par price wise is making this decision less clear cut at the moment.

I've also just looked at a few reviews of the Palit GeForce RTX 4080 GameRock OC and I'm definitely interested in that. Anyone got one of these? Any thoughts. Also as additional question. Should I use HDMI or Displayport? Thanks for all the answers and opinions given so far! Much appreciated!

This generation is poor value all round. However,if you have to buy a new higher end card,why not an RX7900XT 20GB? It can be had for under £800. The RX7000 series also support DisplayPort 2.1 unlike the RTX4000 series which is limited to DisplayPort 1.4a.

Once you start spending £1100~£1200 on an RTX4080,you can get a RTX4090 for a few £100 more:

The RTX4080 really seems like a way to upsell the RTX4090 IMHO!

Also,DLSS3 is locked only to the RTX4000 series,and there is nothing to stop DLSS4 being locked to the RTX5000 series. Many here upgrade every generation,so it isn't a bother for them.

Honestly I would just keep that dGPU you have now.

Both Nvidia and AMD have just come off from the mining/pandemic dGPU boom. They both have lots of unsold mining inventory so are trying to shift it at RRP,so are pricing the new generation high on purpose. Nvidia for example has over $5 billion in unsold inventories and over 200 days of inventory. AMD probably is also in a similar boat too.

This is the same which happened with Turing and the Super range was released after Pascal stock was finished,and sales needed to pick up again.

There is enough room in the Nvidia stack for Super refreshes. For example there is no RTX4080TI/RTX4080 Super based on the AD102,but a large gap between the RTX4080 and RTX4090. The current RTX4080 based on the AD103,so could easily have an RTX4070 Super made from it,etc.
Stop tempting me with the 4090 lol!

The 4090 is a good shout though, especially if you don't upgrade for years and years. It's expensive, but in today's world of mad prices, it's actually the card that makes the most sense. If I was spending over £1000 on a GPU, I would just go all out and buy the 4090.

If you are set on choosing between the 7900XTX and the 4080. It really is a wash for the most part. If you mainly play popular titles on a single screen then the 7900XTX will be fine. However, if you use multi monitor setups, VR or like the idea of Ray Tracing, then the 4080 is the way to go.

For most raster games, there will be very little difference between the two cards. There will be some games that will perform better on the 7900XTX, some will perform better on the 4080.

I have no interest in the AMD vs Nvidia nonsense either. If both cards are available at the same price, I would get the 4080. As JediFragger said above, It's just a better all around package.

The 4080 is more power efficient, if that makes any difference to you.
I aim to spend about 2K as a limit and that includes a monitor. I'm looking at the MSI 4K monitor and that's about 900. I was looking at the Sapphire 7900XTX Nitro and that is hovering between 1100 and 1130. I just looked at the 4080s this morning and it kind of upset my plan lol! As they are basically the same price. The last cards have been a 2080 Super and the original Titan which held up amazingly well at 1080P. But with a new PC I want to go 4K. 350 on top is just a bit too much. Maybe not financially but morally for me! My new build so far cost about 1650, so 1500 for one component just seems a bit outlandish to be fair!

Last edited:
Odd, you ordered it pretty early?? Thought OcUK shipped on a Saturday, guess not.
It allowed me Sunday Delivery so I took that. I asumed tomorrow, so called and they were closed. The status is still received, not had any emails. Dunno, Just guessed having the option to pay Sunday delivery meant tomoorow. If its not possible, it shouldn't be an option on a Saturday, guess that's my feedback. Anyway, it's not a cutomer service thread. Just a bit disapointed.

Back
Top Bottom