4080 super running like crap

3d Mark results are

27668 gpu
11821 cpu
The free direct 12 gaming pc one. I didn't alter anything on the settings just pressed run.
From the results on Guru3D. For Timespy: the CPU and GPU scores are more or less correct, maybe a bit lower than usual, which could relate to the memory speed, but certainly nothing that would explain poor performance in games.

Oh my god. I'd never thought of checking that... I checked and they're not running!

edit: It seems they do work but only under stress :) Phew.

Thanks for making me check :)

Ha! Yes, it sounds stupid, but the heat-sinks on the 4080's are so huge they can do a lot of passive cooling.

For me, it seems odd that it's hitting 75 degrees. I mean, I only have experience of a few 4080's but it's quite difficult to get them to even hit 60 degrees, let alone 75. Perhaps you could adjust the fan curve and see if that makes any difference. Get it to ramp up to 80% at 65 degrees and see what happens.

What make and model is the psu? How are you powering the gpu, a single lead from the psu using the daisy chained connectors plugged into both cables of the high power adaptor cable, a pair of seperate cables from the psu plugged into both cables on the high power adaptor cable or even a dedicated high power cable straight from the psu?

What make and model is the psu? How are you powering the gpu, a single lead from the psu using the daisy chained connectors plugged into both cables of the high power adaptor cable, a pair of seperate cables from the psu plugged into both cables on the high power adaptor cable or even a dedicated high power cable straight from the psu?
1200w rog psu

3 cables from psu into some extended cables to the gpu into the connectors that came with the gpu. Same as I used for the 3090

What cpu cooler and what temps are you seeing in games.
remember the 4080s is only about 13% faster than a 3090, ive seen a few review's online says the power phases have been cut back, have you undervolted the card with curve optimizer, you could be hitting the power limit??

I have it set at 165 in control panel.
if you monitor is 165Hz it's advised you set a max of 164 in control panel as setting it the same as the refresh rate can cause visual problems
(this is apparently a know problem) i was told to do this when asking or the cap FPS in loading screens

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom