• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 vs 7900XT stability

Soldato
Any reason to think either one isn't stable?

Not sure how you are expecting people to answer.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Any reason to think either one isn't stable?

Not sure how you are expecting people to answer.
I've seen issues with the AMD cards but I want to hear what people are saying who have actually used them.,

Also in the past I have not had a great experience with AMD Cards so how have they come on in the last few years

Soldato
I've seen issues with the AMD cards but I want to hear what people are saying who have actually used them.,

Also in the past I have not had a great experience with AMD Cards so how have they come on in the last few years

You will need to read through these threads. Also don't just rely on this forum.

Last edited:
Soldato

Then get a 4080 and stop asking for some validation from internet strangers as if it matters.

Did you also read about the 4080 or 4090 issues with coil whine or the power adpater problems?

I do apologise for coming across confrontational but when I see someone mention AMD issues and nothing about Nvidia issues, my troll alert goes off.

Pet Northerner
Don
Here is the questions to ask when comparing these cards atm:

Does RT matter and do you play at 4k?

If yes to both then team green, if no to either there's nothing really in it. Just buy the best priced card with the longest warranty.

Associate
My 6800 (non-xt) has been rock solid. I honestly don't think 'stability' is a meaningful differention point between these 2 cards.
The fact that the 7900xt is £300 cheaper should be maybe ? Unless you meant the 7900xtx ?
The only thing you have to be of wary is, that some reference design 7900xtx cards have a manufacturing defect. This doesn't apply to any 7900xt reference designs & it doesn't apply to any 7900xtx non-reference designs.

You should really be comparing 7900xt price / performance to 4070ti & 7900xtx price/ performance to 4080.

Sadly, they're quite well balanced at 'not very good value' on both sides :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
On balance from using dozens of GPUs over the years AMD has more random crashes mainly caused by Wattman compared to nVidia. My 7900 XTX went back due to the vapour chamber issue but my first 4080 also went back due to a failed 2nd fan. So hardware wise it can happen to both but otherwise I can't actually remember having had an AMD or nVidia GPU actually die on me. 2 RMA in a week is just the worst odds I can imagine.

Only yesterday I was cleaning my brothers gaming system based on my old X99 + 980 Ti platform. Both CPU and GPU have AIO coolers and after what 5 years or so both are performing perfectly and still play recent games well at 1080. I will miss EVGA if they don't make GPUs like the 980 Ti hybrid anymore.

For my systems I'm biased towards nVidia but for value I'll always consider AMD but expect a few more drivers issues.

u3CFiFJ.jpg

Associate
AMD and NV have both had some poor recent releases. 7900xtx had issues with coolers and drivers were not mature on release. NV 30 series had transient stability issues and NV 40 series had a minor issue with power connectors.

In terms of drivers IMO the AMD package is nicer to use, and I'd say anecdotally stability is equivalent. In saying this I don't have a 7900 and don't know how much driver maturity has improved since launch.

So buy what you want to buy.

Back
Top Bottom