• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4090fe undervolt/power limit ?

Associate
hi guys just received my new 4090fe and was thinking about doing what i did with my old 3090 and undervolting it, is it still worth doing it with the 4090fe or is it best just to reduce the power limit ?

hi guys just received my new 4090fe and was thinking about doing what i did with my old 3090 and undervolting it, is it still worth doing it with the 4090fe or is it best just to reduce the power limit ?

Most people just reduce the power limit if you want to use less wattage!

any suggestions what the average number to reduce it to ? i assume you can do this via msi afterburner ?

Are you wanting to just use less power? From my experience (with 4090 450w inno3d card) to me at least the power limit seemed a bit misleading in terms of how much it reduces power draw/non-linear: I played Bioshock infinite the other day at 4k and it was really twitchy and running at around 450fps with the graphics card coils whining away like a demon (I run watercooled and fanless so very noticeable at high fps), so I tried gsync in nvidia control panel without success. Forgot you could set max fps in afterburner, and so tried lowering power limit to get max fps to 120fps. Had to go down to 15% in power limiter to get there and drawing ~80w at 120fps, but I think it was still drawing 200w at 30%.

Adjusting the curve in afterburner was more effective at getting say stock clocks at lower voltage in my experience x ymmv but for my card I could get the voltage down from 1.05v to 0.95v for stock clocks.

Last edited:
Are you wanting to just use less power? From my experience (with 4090 450w inno3d card) to me at least the power limit seemed a bit misleading in terms of how much it reduces power draw/non-linear: I played Bioshock infinite the other day at 4k and it was really twitchy and running at around 450fps with the graphics card coils whining away like a demon (I run watercooled and fanless so very noticeable at high fps), so I tried gsync in nvidia control panel without success. Forgot you could set max fps in afterburner, and so tried lowering power limit to get max fps to 120fps. Had to go down to 15% in power limiter to get there and drawing ~80w at 120fps, but I think it was still drawing 200w at 30%.

Adjusting the curve in afterburner was more effective at getting say stock clocks at lower voltage in my experience x ymmv but for my card I could get the voltage down from 1.05v to 0.95v for stock clocks.
Thankyou for your reply, I’m just trying to find the best settings for the 4090fe, so either power limiter or undervolting, so any help would be appreciated.

(And a sneaky yt vid for easy following)

Thankyou for your reply, I’m just trying to find the best settings for the 4090fe, so either power limiter or undervolting, so any help would be appreciated.

(And a sneaky yt vid for easy following)
Do you have a gsync monitor? If yes, then limiting frames generated makes more impact than reducing power limit ;)

Back
Top Bottom