• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

40th Anniversary Intel - Core i7-8086K - 5.0GHz+

Soldato
Seems that the specifications for this celebratory processor have been seen around and about.

• 14nm Coffee Lake-S architecture with LGA 1151 socket
  • 6 Cores / 12 Threads
  • Base / Boost of 4.00GHz / 5.10GHz, Unlocked
  • L3 cache size: 12MB
  • On board graphics: UHD630
  • 95W TDP
Product code for the boxed version is BX80684I78086K and the price looks to be around $480, or about $110 more than the 8700K. If you extrapolate the UK cost for CPU using the MSRP for the 8700K, then it shoould be about £360-410 depending on if retailers gouge it.

First CPU to come with over 5.0GHz out of the box, with boost. I wonder if this is soldered not tooth pasted on. :D

Hope OCUK have shifted all their overpriced 8700K de-lid chips before this is out, otherwise they'll be sat doing nothing.

EDIT: Already listed on one UK site with pre-order price of £399.12 with free delivery, includes VAT an will be shipped on the 6th of June.

Soldato
OP
Nothing special if its just a binned 8700k with the 8c12t chips round the corner.

I don't even think that 8c, and I assume you meant 16t CPU's are anything special anymore. So if they chose to launch it at that specification but a lower clock speed would it have had a great impact?

Going to be a bit weird, if you were in the market for an 8700K, since this removes the appeal, even more so if you weren't really into overclocking and tweaking, as 5.0GHz boost with a decent AIO/Air cooler shouldn't be much of a challenge.
I suppose they could throw a surprise in the box, by including a cooler, maybe an BBB (not RBG this is Intel) with an Intel logo that lights up etc. :p

Soldato
OP
Product shall be available to pre-order on 8th June, that is when NDA lifts, anyone advertising now is in breach of NDA and won't be getting any stock.

Can't be in breach of a NDA if you didn't sign one, and you are simply listing what a disti is showing you ;)

In other news, deliveries confirmed for 20th June, will see if that happens based on Intel's past (recent) performance with processor releases, I'd imagine some slippage would be embarrassing

Soldato
OP
Distribution on allocated stock is normally instructed who they can ship too and who they cannot, of course the distributor cannot follow such instruction but then magically when it comes to next allocation they may be a little short on supply.

Indeed, this sort of illegal under the table practice happens in a lot of industries, and it is disgusting. Just another way to have the people selling your product on a leash, completely anti-competitive and only helps the manufacturer of the product not the end users, it's vile, abhorrent and outdated. :mad:

We shall see what happens, but we won't violate an NDA and then risk our supply been reduced or cut completely, not worth it particular on a product where will will sell thousands of units. :)

See, above if you signed an NDA, then fair play, if you didn't then you are simply allowing the former to happen.

Soldato
OP
Wonder what going be the price difference between these two cpu's...

Binned 5.2ghz i7-8086K
Binned 5.2ghz i7-8700k

Binned 5.2ghz i7-8700k currently £799, in 2 weeks, it'll be worth about £400 and that's being generous. The lower end ones have already been reduced to clear, well reduced, but still they'll be worth the same as an 8700K non-binned CPU in 2 weeks (Total Recall, keps coming to mind :D)

If you just bought an 8700K, then it's a real shame since the price will no doubt fall once these land.

Soldato
OP
I thought it was the board mate, Ive gone for 3200 with super tight timings for now.

Low end Asus boards are almost a waste of PCB, if you want a good board at a cheaper price go with ASRock, generally much better at that end of the price range and no Asus tax, so what you are paying for is all components/design not marketing BS like Strix

Soldato
OP
Whelp, it exists in the delidded section now...

INTEL CORE I7-8700K/8086K ULTRA EDITION PRE-BINNED 4.9-5.2GHZ (COFFEE LAKE) SOCKET LGA1151 PROCESSOR
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...-lake-socket-lga1151-processor-cp-00c-8p.html

...I'm a tad nonplussed by the 5.1 premium though. Silicon lottery reckon nearly all 8086Ks reach that :/

You know what hacks me off about this place (the Shop), the absolute **** they try and pull with reduced pricing, "Oh look the 8086K de-lid has 16% off, a whole £99, buy it now!" It's stinks and makes OCUK look like DFS, its really disappointing the see these sorts of fake price reductions.

Soldato
OP
5ghz 8700K is £80 over the retail box price right now, but yeah, I know... 50-60% chance it'd have done 5.0 anyway.

Thing is OCUK's current CPU pricing is dire, retail boxed is £50+ cheaper in a good few other places, save goes for there Ryzen pricing.

As for your bad luck, I suppose paying for some is fine if you believe in that sort of thing. :)

What board did you buy for it?

Back
Top Bottom