• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4200+ x2 upgraded to a 4600+ x2(939)

Associate
I killed my 4200+ trying to remove my IHS :p so i bought a 4600+ seeing as the prices are good =]

Will i see any improvements if i overclock?

Im on water and i was wondering how far i could overclock it on an asus a8n SLi SE and with 2gb OCZ GOLD XTC DDR400 PC3200?

Soldato
Dunno - the 939 4600+ and 4400+ prices are about equal in a few places now (even taking the TWO into account). The higher multi in the 4600+ could be just as handy as the the extra cache in the 4400+, particularly if you're not running with premium RAM or a motherboard that doesn't overclock particularly well. With prices as they are the 4600+ might work out best bang for buck in the x2 range for some people.

I'm thinking of a November CPU upgrade, depending on finances. Given that my existing RAM isn't known for it's overclocking potential, I'll be getting the 4600+ if the prices stay as they are now. If the prices scaled with the model numbers I'd be a lot more tempted by a 4400+.

Associate
I am not sold on the benefits of the extra cache. I have two systems same mobo, ram, andGFX, one 3500 one 3700 and I can't detect any difference. I'm sure they differ slightly in terms of performnce numbers but I can't TELL the difference.

I'm also not sure that Windows and it's apps can yet do great things with dual core. This is not an anti Windows post but I also have a dual boot system W2000/Solaris 10. Just swapped the 3700 in that for a 4200. In Windows I can't tell the difference, in Solaris the performance boost is enormous, no special dual core tweaked apps, just running the same old stuff.

Permabanned
Me neither, ive got a 3500+ and a 3700+ both at around 2.6GHz and they feel exactly the same speed to use. Same chipset motherboard as each other too. I Cant notice the extra 512kb l2 cache making any difference in real world performance.

Soldato
ghgh said:
Me neither, ive got a 3500+ and a 3700+ both at around 2.6GHz and they feel exactly the same speed to use. Same chipset motherboard as each other too. I Cant notice the extra 512kb l2 cache making any difference in real world performance.
The bigger cache will show benefits when the code fits inside the cache to much code has out grown the cache size so it will be in system mem.
You notice now that bigger cache are needed now to fit more code in the cache for better speed up that why the new intel chips have much more cache.

Associate
Final8y said:
The bigger cache will show benefits when the code fits inside the cache to much code has out grown the cache size so it will be in system mem.
You notice now that bigger cache are needed now to fit more code in the cache for better speed up that why the new intel chips have much more cache.

I think Intel's bigger cache reflects their dependency on longer pipelines. A pipeline stall incurs a huge overhead as the entire pipeline must be flushed and refetched. If some of the refetch is already in cache this irons the bump out a bit.

An extra 512K of cache is really neither here nor there... except for cpu benchmarks which tend to be quite small and therefore may even fit in the cache! Once a cpu takes an unpredicted branch the cache contents can be useless, so for some apps cache management can actually hit performance.

Associate
bigger cache is good for encoding, but other then that not much difference between 4400 & 4600. This is someone who has had both processors.

Back
Top Bottom