• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4770K temps/ volts question?

Soldato
Hi there, running a custom loop currently on my 4770K only. Chip is not delidded. Used the Asus auto-tune software in the BIOS to get the chip to 4.4 and then upped the multiplier to 45 which it is currently at...

According to HWInfo64 my cores have the following voltage being applied (again this is Asus's auto settings)

core #0 1.276v
core #1 1.273v
core #2 1.275v
core #3 1.274v

Anyways after running prime95 torture test for say 20ish minutes or so my temps are currently

core #0 72 (max of 77)
core #1 71 (max of 76)
core #2 73 (max of 76)
core #3 68 (max of 69)

I know 20 odd minutes of Prime isn't sufficient, but with those in mind do I have a pretty good chip and are those considered good temps considering the voltage? Would it be likely I could push the chip a little further still and tweak around manually with the voltages so as not to increase temps all that much?

I would rather not delid tbh as the thought scares me lol. I also have a 4790K on preorder, but leaning towards cancelling that and sticking with the 70K until possibly Broadwell-E.

Thoughts?

Associate
I'm running mine at 1.3v and 4.4Ghz on a top end air cooler and hitting 85 degrees max when stress testing. Mine is delided though so taking that into account your temps look pretty good.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Why are you testing with Prime95?

Is Prime95 what you'll be using your machine for?

Soldato
OP
Why are you testing with Prime95?

Is Prime95 what you'll be using your machine for?

Quite a helpful comment that. :rolleyes::D

I am testing with Prime95 as it is a fairly standard method of placing stress on the system and testing whether an overclock is stable and whether or not temps are considered out of hand.

To answer your question though, no obviously Prime95 will not be what the system is used for, but I would like to know whether I have a stable machine and that it isn't going to trip over itself any time a CPU intensive program is run.

Associate
Those temps are OK.
Have you tried 1.25 as a manual vcore setting? Autotuners tend to overdo the voltage a little, so you can probably whittle a bit off that...

The temps are not going to cause you problems as they are, but if you can get the vcore down a smidge, you'll have even more to play with.
I'm currently running 4.7GHz with 1.26v on air- Prime takes me up to the high 70s temp-wise, touching 80 occasionally*. I think I got a pretty good chip, I'd say yours it at least reasonable!

* saying that, I have not tried since the weather warmed up. Imagine I may be knocking the speed down a bit for the next few months...

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

To answer your question though, no obviously Prime95 will not be what the system is used for, but I would like to know whether I have a stable machine and that it isn't going to trip over itself any time a CPU intensive program is run.

I'm not 24h stable in Prime95 but I never crash with normal usage. Stable is if it can run your normal stuff without crashing.

If you aim for prime95 stability, you're probably doing yourself out of a couple of hundred mhz of OC.

running fpu stress in aida64 for looking a temps.

And again with the artificial check. Handbrake is a good tool to test for temps. Aida FPU test is stupid - no real world app is going to generate that kind of heat. If you're using the fpu test to tune for temps, you're intentionally crippling your system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I'd agree. Ignore prime/intel burn test and those sorts of "stability" programmes. My 4770k system runs at 1.27v and 4.5 Ghz 24/7 including games, benchmarks, and stressful applications (handbrake). Even if I found it failed prime after 1, 2, 3 or 30 mins it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. It is totally stable for what I use it for.

I personally use cinebench and also run a usual battery of benchmarks including 3Dmark, heaven 4 and valley. Then I simply game on the pc. If it passes all that, chances are, it is stable.

Back
Top Bottom