• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4770k Upgrade

Associate
I have a 4770k currently and I'm looking to upgrade to one of AMD's offerings. I had heard back in the Autumn that Zen 3 was due around Spring/Summer this year so decided to wait. But obviously we are still waiting and there's talk they may not arrive till 2021. Instead it's looking like a refresh of Zen 2 possibly in July.

As I have not upgraded for 6 or 7 years I would intend to keep my setup for a similar amount of time before upgrading. 85% of the time its used for gaming with the other 15% for AutoCAD and Photoshop work. So I don't know if I would really benefit from a 12core vs 8core, unless games start using more cores, what with the consoles now going 8core?

Is the general consensus that it's worth waiting for Zen 2 refresh to see what it brings or are they likely to be such minor improvements that jumping on a well priced Zen 2 would suffice?

Associate
OP
12 cores can cause a hinderance in a few games out now. so ideally you want 8 soon. they should be good for 3-5 years. for gaming thats why you got that many in a console.

unless its a cheap deal right now i dont get why anyone would upgrade when we know there is super amd chips literally landing soon. yeah we can always wait but these will be the real deal. not the close to intel cpus. like now.

Are you referring to the Zen 2 refresh or Zen 3? I know that Zen 3 is slated for late 2020 (possibly September?) but I'm just not sure it wont slip into 2021 if they are releasing the Zen 2 refresh so close together.

I think based on the comments i'am leaning towards waiting a little longer for the new releases as I'm not one for stopgap upgrading. The consensus seems to be that 8core is the way to go, I mean 4core has had a long run and still performs reasonably, so if 8core provides similar performance for the same amount of time then i guess in theory it should see me through to the next upgrade.

Associate
OP
So I've preordered a X570 Tomahawk board (not much in it between the B550 pricing really) and decided I'm either going to go for a 3600 at around £150 (from the jungle) and then upgrade to a 4700X or 4900X about a year down the line.

Or I did see on the jungle site that the 3900X was £390 last night, the lowest I have seen so far which was quite tempting. The offer was only up for a brief amount of time before reverting back to £440. I'am wondering if prices will regularly drop below the £400 mark bit more now the XTs are coming.

What do we think the prices for the 4700X & 4900X are likely to be? More than the 3000 predecessors?

Associate
OP
In the end I went with a 3600 teamed with a X570 Tomahawk and 32GB of 8Pack 3600mhz ram. So far so good, managed to get the 3600 @ 4.3ghz with 1.275v.

I figure this will do for a good year or two and then ill upgrade it to a 4000 series and hopefully get ~ £100 back on this CPU.

Back
Top Bottom