4790K OC questions

Associate
I'm overclocking my 4790K.

Just curious, as the last thing I OC'd was sandybridge, how important is it to mess with the cache? Can I just have LLC on, Spread Spectrum off, and set my vcore manually and my multiplier manually and away I go just like on sandy?

Thanks.

Also I have downloaded a 2014 edition of AIDA64 extreme. Is this sufficient for stress testing? Prime95 was roasting the CPU.

Associate
OP
Real Bench is also decent and of course using the PC.

Leave Cache initially just max out the core and test. Then max out the cache after core. It does give afew percent boost especially in multi-core tasks so is worth doing.

With FIVR technology chips tune VCCIN can yield extra mhz for sure on the core especially.

Do you have a detailed guide you could link?

Associate
OP
I've found that 1.24V is as high as I want to go with vCore, which gives me max temps of 72 in BF1, my most demanding game, with occasional momentary peaks to 76 on my hottest core. I don't know how long I will have to stick with this CPU so I don't want to run it hot.

Currently at 4.5Ghz and slowly working my way up. VRM temp sensor is peaking at 72C. Don't want to go hotter than that.

I went to OC my cache and found that my motherboard had already done it for me when I overclocked my CPU, and both the CPU and cache are stable at 4500Mhz.

I have to say, compared to my previous board, the very high end Maximus IV Extreme, this board has more solid voltage regulation, which is hilarious as I paid a couple of bucks over $100 for this board and my last board was over $400. I set 1.24V and I get 1.241V. Also clocks are always within 1Mhz of where I set them in HWmonitor. Very nice for a cheap board. Again I don't know if this is the norm since Haswell and things have evolved since the sandy days, but I am very impressed with this garbage board I picked up in 2014.

Back
Top Bottom