• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4890 to 260/275?

Associate
Thinking of getting shot of my 4890 and going back to a GTX260/275 due to several minor issues. Thing is there appears to be a severe shortage of stock of either on here and all that's left is the rather crappy slow versions.

Question is, how fast does a 260 need to be core/memory wise to match a stock 275?

So effectively does this

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-081-EA&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=927

equal this

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-015-SK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1410

also if deciding between the EVGA 260 which has a faster core or the Gigabyte 260 which has the faster memory and shaders, which should rule?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I really miss having per-app 3D profiles for games that the ATi CCC does not offer. Also I'm a bit annoyed at several key titles such as NFSS, Anno, Batman etc are hampered by sub-par performance or missing features on ATi hardware. I do not want to spend more than about £50 so looking at next-gen cards is not an option at the moment.

To say everyone says they are such a good card, I'm finding it amazingly hard to shift on the MM.

Much difference in noise levels between the three quoted btw?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah its a shame about those titles I am in the same boat with need for speed shift :(

Unfortunately 'the way its meant to be played' is evident in the titles :(, I am sort of on the same ground as you, I want to get an nvidia because they always play the games well but I wouldn't want to buy a GT200 as the GT300 are 2010 but then I don't want to wait for them so I have ordered a 5850 instead haha, also I do not want to support nvidia with their closed standards and what not

I understand and I would love to order a 5850 but never been a big fan of CCC and tray tools doesn't work properly under Windows 7 last time I checked.

Thing is if I want to play the games I already own and have them looking and performing their best, rightly or wrongly I have to look to nVidia. If I want to play an older title that does not have AA/AF etc built into the menu, I have to remember to mess around in the CCC and then remember to put it all back again when I'm done playing that one game.:(

Associate
OP
you sure you've got that the right way round? Have just installed my new GTX260 and it runs Shift so much better than the 4890 its laughable. Despite increasing the AA for 4x to 8x and the AF for 8x to 16x it now runs at a constant and I mean constant 75fps. On the 4890 I'd get 60-65 regularly dipping into sub 30 territory if there was a bunch of stuff on screen.

That's one game it's fixed for me anyway.

Associate
OP
ah well, it's not all good. Using the latest nvidia drivers, I get massive flickering on yahoo mail for some reason. I believe someone mentions desktop flicker in another thread so need to check that out.

Let#s not turn this into a flame war shall we. I simply stated that I wanted to change my card for certain specific reasons and that so far I am satisfied that those reasons are fixed when using a nvidia card. Anno runs perfectly now too.

It can't very well be EA's sloppy coding if the game runs perfectly on other hardware though why that is the case is a matter dealt with on other bickering threads.

I also never asked anyone's opinions on what was best, my op was asking what kind of 260 I would need to equal a more expensive 275. The decision to swap had already been made and was not up for discussion.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
performance is usually acceptable 45+ though it struggles badly (sub 30) if there's a bunch of stuff in front of you (smoke, cars etc). I linked to a graph in the NFS thread that someone had posted showing the frame rate being all over the place over a race on a 4890 but steady on a 275.

If you note above, I have already purchased a 260 on the MM and from my experience last night running the game with FRAPS, the frame rate NEVER dropped below 65.

I know ATi have raised the issue with EA but there is no update on a fix afaik and I want to play the game now, not in three months time. The Anno bug has been on 3 successive driver releases now and I'm not a fan of the CCC panel.

Back
Top Bottom