• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4890 Vapor-X or 5870, will work on P43?

Associate
I don't have the best technical knowledge so forgive me if its a very simple question/answer.

I'm looking at getting either the 4890 Vapor-X 1024/2048 or the new 5870. I'm aiming more towards the 5870 to future proof to some extent, but i'm confused at the PCI BUS 2.1 requirement.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3 and it says it only has PCI Bus 2.0 but would it support a 5870? Also if i did choose the cheaper option of a 4890, is it worth the extra 1GB of card ram? I would have thought so for £20.

Associate
OP
I've gone for the 4890. It seemed the more realistic option at this point, due to the high price of the card (although i paid similar for my 8800). My next upgrade was due to be a chip, ram and OS to Windows 7 from XP but that will have to come around xmas time now.

Associate
OP
getting mine wednesday via royal mail as only day i'm in to get a parcel, if i'll be going into town but certainly looking forward to it. Damn 8800 dieing, it was only near 2 year old.

Associate
OP
Yeah but the point is he isn't going to notice an increase in FPS unless he is playing something very high end (or badly coded as some people say) like Crysis. Everything else would play at high FPS using his resolution with the 4890.

Other than Cod WAW and up coming Cod MW2 i don't play graphics hungry games as i either use racing games or play tiger woods which is why i went for the 4890. Also i can always give it to my dad when i upgrade in a year or so once the 5870's have come down in price :D

I think i'd be going elsewhere if it got delayed a third time. I know things can get nicked in the post, a mate of mine lives in scotland and when he got a new system off overclockers a few bits went missing so its definatly not un common.

Associate
OP
will have to if doesn't come by wednesday. Shame about the odd blip as always found OC to be pretty good. Can't always rely on the suppliers or couriers though :mad:

Back
Top Bottom