• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4GB VRAM enough for 1080p?

Soldato
Depends. It's not just resolution that determines how much VRAM is used. There are currently only a handful of games that will use 3gb or more at 1080 (like Hitman and SoM), but expect that to rise in future.

Last edited:
Permabanned
How much past?

Aiming for 120FPS if that makes any difference to VRAM - the whole thing confuses me.

How video memory is used has changed with the current console generation. The consoles have a much larger pool of memory available compared to older gen's and games developers are using it for high resolution textures as a way to visually improve how a game looks for as small an impact as possible on the gpu. Going forward more and more games will exceed the 4gb limit at all resolutions (1080p and beyond) in this way, It's not a big deal though as it tends to be a case of turning the texture setting down one notch to take it below 4gb's and the difference visually is hard to see. I recently read an article that stated the games developers have around 5 gb's available on the consoles.

Soldato
4GB is fine for now, yes. There are a handful of games which can use more, but you literally won't be able to notice the difference between the top texture setting and the one below it at 1080p, which is all that's needed to bring them back under. 3GB is where you start running into a lot more games that require compromises which do affect visual quality.

Soldato
OP
I'm still confused so I will re-phrase.

BF1, high/ultra @ 1080p @ 120FPS.

Would you uprade from a 290 @ 4gb to a 390 @ 8gb if it was going to cost you £20 or so to buy and sell.

Soldato
For £20? Yes, I'd make that trade, assuming it's a similarly-good model (i.e. you're not trading a 290 Vapor-X for a voltage-locked Gigabyte 390 or something).

Soldato
I'm still confused so I will re-phrase.

BF1, high/ultra @ 1080p @ 120FPS.

Would you uprade from a 290 @ 4gb to a 390 @ 8gb if it was going to cost you £20 or so to buy and sell.
For £20, yea I would.

It's not gonna make a big difference, but it'll let you run better textures here and there and help avoid stuttering in the odd title.

but you literally won't be able to notice the difference between the top texture setting and the one below it at 1080p
This isn't true at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just for those curious about BF1 in particular, it's quite light on vRAM compared to most other recent graphics-heavy games:

kYdc.png

bru

bru

Soldato
Every bodies eye are different, some notice more than others.

If there is no difference in the settings why do the developers bother putting them in. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Every bodies eye are different, some notice more than others.

If there is no difference in the settings why do the developers bother putting them in. :rolleyes:
Nobody's saying there isn't a difference. :rolleyes:

But if you want to tell me that you're going to notice the difference between this:

rise-of-the-tomb-raidtasdw.png
And this:

rise-of-the-tomb-raidrysqs.png
As you run past it in-game, then I'm saying that I don't believe you.

bru

bru

Soldato
Nobody's saying there isn't a difference. :rolleyes:

But if you want to tell me that you're going to notice the difference between this:

rise-of-the-tomb-raidtasdw.png
And this:

rise-of-the-tomb-raidrysqs.png
As you run past it in-game, then I'm saying that I don't believe you.

Well myself I cannot tell a difference at all, but I am as blind as a bat.

But if you want to argue that there isn't anyone out there in the entire world that could notice a difference, be my guest.:)

Back
Top Bottom