• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4GB vs 2GB.

Soldato
Aaaaaaa sorry for not checking that! What I'm aiming for is what is the best card now that will be cheaper in under a year from now. By the time I get my new rig from here the 690 will be not the best on the market as I’m not spending £500 on a card.

So is having 2X2GB not just the same as saying its got 4GB under the hood?

Last time I got a PC is was easy to see what was near the top but all these naming conventions for CPU’s and GPU’s is a nightmare to follow.

In all honesty I'd wait till you have your new rig,
as then someone will be able to advise you better. :)

Associate
You are asking what the best solution is for gaming on your Dell U3011.

I also use that monitor. At this resolution a GTX 690 and a pair of HD 7950s have about the same performance. What lets the GTX 690 down is it is about £300 more than the HD 7950s and also the 2gbs of vram on the 690 gpus. For most things at the moment this is not a problem @1600p but there are games like skyrim with mods that can excede this and also future game releases will follow this tread. The one one thing a GTX 690 has in its favour is a hardware fix for microstutter.

For future proofing, price and performance a pair of HD 7950s are a far better option.

I use GTX 690s and HD 7970s

For gaming HD 7950s are within a few % of the HD 7970s

Thanks for that Kaapstad.
Just to clarify then, for my single dell u3011, at 1600p 2 x hd 7950 is the best solution or a single gtx 690, taking into account the extra £300. I have the opportunity to purchase an OEM 690 for £660. Worth it or not say over 2 retail 7950's?

Associate
Yeah last time I got a new PC the games where pushing the hardware to the max, I got BF2 to play on medium to high setting not to bad on it. Now Hardware seems to have left games trailing and everything just looks over kill now with Quad and six cores and More Ram in the GFX cards than I’ve had in my PC the last seven years. :)

Back
Top Bottom