*** 4K Player Thread ***

Soldato
Just taken possession of a panasonic UB900 4k player Had it on 20 mins ..... impressed so far. Just wondering if any lucky people have bought one ?

Congrats - was thinking of getting one myself, but silly question do they also play ordinary dvd's as well - the specs don't mention it as far as I can see.

Man of Honour
Congrats - was thinking of getting one myself, but silly question do they also play ordinary dvd's as well - the specs don't mention it as far as I can see.

Yes it does and manages to upscale them. Apparently it will also play 3D Blu-ray.

Oh and my one has arrived and is ready to collect!

Man of Honour
With regard the Atmos issue:

Afternoon,

I have received the following comment from Panasonic UK that they asked me to share with the members here:

"We have received a number of reports regarding issues with audio playback performance when using the DMP-UB900EBK to play 4K UHD Blu-ray discs. We are working with our engineers in Japan to investigate and we will update you as further information becomes available. Panasonic UK would also like to take this opportunity to thank the forum members for bringing this matter to our attention and for your patience whilst we work on a solution." - Panasonic UK

They have said they will update me with any news on a solution and I'll post it here when it comes.

Also this may help:

Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review

Soldato
TBH - Too expensive for my taste right now. Having been an 'early adopter' for both DVD & Blu-ray (1st Gen DVD & 3rd Gen blu-ray) I'm going to sit tight & wait.

Having said that though - I've read reports of 1st Gen Blu-ray players being around 1k when they 1st came out & I paid £400 for my 1st Gen Panny DVD player, £600 doesnt seem to be that expensive for a 4K player - It'll be interesting to see if an 8K disc will be around for when 8K tellies are due in a couple of years.

Associate
If amazon start "renting" UHD blu rays as I expect they will I will go out and buy one immediately but for now I will hold off.

For now I will probably buy the cheaper Samsung rather than the Panasonic and replace it in year or 2 if it gets a fair bit of use.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
TBH - Too expensive for my taste right now. Having been an 'early adopter' for both DVD & Blu-ray (1st Gen DVD & 3rd Gen blu-ray) I'm going to sit tight & wait.

Having said that though - I've read reports of 1st Gen Blu-ray players being around 1k when they 1st came out & I paid £400 for my 1st Gen Panny DVD player, £600 doesnt seem to be that expensive for a 4K player - It'll be interesting to see if an 8K disc will be around for when 8K tellies are due in a couple of years.

The first BD player to market was a Samsung model and yes it cost £1k on release. I bought one about six months after release at a "bargain" price of £600. One year later, was very easy to get a sub £200 player that was better.
For all that, we gave away our Samsung to a friend a few years ago and they're still using it, so we can't complain about it's reliability. Quite whether it plays anything now with all the firmware updates is another matter.

Soldato
This is why im confused for a ps4k, £600 for a standalone, how can a console be so much cheaper if it does the same job. I would like to know why they are so expensive tho.

you pay your money and you take your choice basically.

Some people (usually those who spend a fortune on their display , amp etc) have everything in a rack, where a console just doesnt fit / look right. The Panasonic also has analogue audio output for those that require these for their amp etc.

(you also have to remember that its likely the Ps4.5 , or whatever they are going to call it, will probably not be around for 6 months or so and as far as Im aware hasnt even officially been announced by Sony)

Last edited:
Associate
I'm waiting for a Dolby Vision one to be released.

This is what I'm waiting for too, I don't want to have to upgrade the player in 6 months time.

I haven't even purchased a 4K Tv yet, I had a 2016 LG oled in my basket on the John Lewis website but decided I still wasn't ready to jump in helped by the £5k price tag which will hopefully be cheaper by the time a Dolby Vision compatible player is released if I have the willpower not to buy a Tv before then.

Soldato
Re the Dolby Atmos issues, missus who is the AV nerd (as opposed to me being the computer nerd) changed some settings which seemed to cure it, posted on the AVF thread Page 26 #758. Played both San Andreas (now I film I loath as opposed to just dislike) and Mad Max without any issue. It doesn't let Panasonic off the hook for putting out £600 worth of borked goods but at least it allows the disc to be enjoyed with half decent sound rather than through the TV speakers, until there is (hopefully) a more permanent fix.

Re the first Samsung BD player, remember buying that in (then) Dixons just after the price dropped to £750 (eek). 'bout the only thing I ever bought from Dixons that wasn't faulty out the box or needed to go back after a few months.

Soldato
Do the 4K discs cost forty quid each by any chance?

No, around £20 - £25.
:eek:

Looks like Movie company's are having a laugh with them prices as that around double the price of a DVD movie and and about £10 more then a Blu-Ray movie..
I would say most People will not pay them stupid prices.

From what I can tell most people still buy normal DVD's even now because there cheaper then Blu-ray disc's and there no way I can see people paying even more for a 4K disc..

Last edited:
Soldato
Re the discs, very limited range in the UK, more in Germany and of course the US but by the time you factor in shipping and import duty + fee we are talking laser-disc price levels of > £30 a movie.

Also chicken and egg, if people import that may hit sales when the titles eventually appear here causing the studios to decide there's no market for them - again, just like laser-disc where 75% of our collection were probably NTSC imports.

Back
Top Bottom