*** 4K Player Thread ***

Soldato
Have Logan on pre-order but waiting on others to see what the quality's like and whether they're 'genuine' 4K from a 4K DI. Interested in Prometheus & Alien:Covenant.

In NY next month so may pick up Logan early.

Soldato
In response to the differences. There is quite a lot of processing that takes the 1s and 0s to produce the picture. Its not as if the data on the disc is just sent to the TV directly.

I imagine the Xbox uses software rather than hardware based algorithms, and maybe their algorithms and techniques are not smart enough.

Soldato
In response to the differences. There is quite a lot of processing that takes the 1s and 0s to produce the picture.
from the earlier ub900 review I ref'd it is unadulaterated
With a Blu-ray player, several factors come into play to enjoy an excellent image in any circumstance, whatever the content and the broadcaster. Nowadays, video decoding is often very good and fairly equivalent between each reader, although a few shades of image quality can be observed from one chip to another or from one manufacturer to another ( Such as the use of software noise reducer to mask residual noise generated by low-end electronics and therefore inevitably less sharpness in the image, or color enhancement algorithms for a more flattering rendering, but which distorts the Colors, or even filters activated by default to give the impression that the image is more precise than on other readers). On this side, the Panasonic UB900 does not cheat (at least in normal picture mode). No DNR (Digital Noise Reduction), nor any filter is activated by default, we leave the choice to the user to activate or not the filters of improvement of the image

on the other hand with respect other non-video path circuitry an oppo thread shows what can go wrong with control s/w even at the expensive end

Caporegime
I watched Passengers in 4k UHD the other night. Picture quality was excellent.

Strangely I noticed a 1-2 second stutter on one section in the early part using my Xbox One S - That's the first time i've ever seen an issue. Film was better than I imagined based on the reviews, though I can't see myself watching it again.

Pacific Rim is still the king of HDR IMO.

As for the Xbox One S - At the moment I've watched 6-7 UHD movies since December. It doesn't really affect me if a dedicated player has faster loading! ;)

Soldato
I watched Passengers in 4k UHD the other night. Picture quality was excellent.

Strangely I noticed a 1-2 second stutter on one section in the early part using my Xbox One S - That's the first time i've ever seen an issue. Film was better than I imagined based on the reviews, though I can't see myself watching it again.

Pacific Rim is still the king of HDR IMO.

As for the Xbox One S - At the moment I've watched 6-7 UHD movies since December. It doesn't really affect me if a dedicated player has faster loading! ;)

Thats fine we dont want this thread to degrade into a player v player war. If you are happy with your purchase thats all that matters.
Still not got round to watching my copy of Pacific Rim 4k yet. Although half way through X-Men Apocalypse. Think this is my 3rd time watching it. Story still does not improve :)

Soldato
Still not got round to watching my copy of Pacific Rim 4k yet. Although half way through X-Men Apocalypse. Think this is my 3rd time watching it. Story still does not improve :)

I keep on trying to watch Pacific Rim , its a film I should like but its so badly told its painful to watch (not that different from Apocalypse then lol)

Soldato
Anyone also running an Atmos setup?

Repurposed my side surrounds, Mission dipoles, moved them to the ceiling and running the Dolby demo disk doesn't sound half bad.

Only 5.1.2 but the room is not massive.

Soldato
Just got the following today from CEX.

Creed £10
Ice Age 5 £10
Heart of Sea £10
Inferno £10
Lego Movie £12
Fantastic beasts £12
Magnificent 7 £12
Maze Runner £8
Star Trek Beyond £15
X-Men Apocalypse £12
5th Wave £10
Resident Evil Afterlife £10
Pan £12

Just watched X-Men and the picture quality was really fantastic and the HDR really adds that extra pop.

Soldato
Anyone also running an Atmos setup?

Repurposed my side surrounds, Mission dipoles, moved them to the ceiling and running the Dolby demo disk doesn't sound half bad.

Only 5.1.2 but the room is not massive.

Yes, I'm running 5.1.4, well actually 5.2.4 because I have dual subs.

I've got Hacksaw Ridge and Logan on pre-order, can't wait to see them.

Soldato
Yes, I'm running 5.1.4, well actually 5.2.4 because I have dual subs.

I've got Hacksaw Ridge and Logan on pre-order, can't wait to see them.
Don't know if your PC is connected but you can grab the Dolby app from the store you can now enable Atmos within Windows sound devices and the app has some neat demos too. Just need some games to take advantage now.

Soldato
Just got the following today from CEX.

Creed £10
Ice Age 5 £10
Heart of Sea £10
Inferno £10
Lego Movie £12
Fantastic beasts £12
Magnificent 7 £12
Maze Runner £8
Star Trek Beyond £15
X-Men Apocalypse £12
5th Wave £10
Resident Evil Afterlife £10
Pan £12

Just watched X-Men and the picture quality was really fantastic and the HDR really adds that extra pop.

£143 on films, you must be mad :p

Soldato
Thats fine we dont want this thread to degrade into a player v player war. If you are happy with your purchase thats all that matters.
Still not got round to watching my copy of Pacific Rim 4k yet. Although half way through X-Men Apocalypse. Think this is my 3rd time watching it. Story still does not improve

thread purpose is to discuss players though (not aggressively I agree) rather than the played.
The thread title did recently get edited no ? I was surprised no one commented

Avfroums suggested that in current bouyant market, you can typically sell on 4k discs with only a loss of £6 - so you could escape your masochistic repetition of X-Men ?;)

what is the consensus on a good quality (story line/acting/cinematography) movie available in 4k, I think Hollywood is rather letting down its side of the deal - which will be the keepers.

Soldato
£143 on films, you must be mad :p

Ive got over 700 Blu's (and nearly 25 4k Blus) - I dread to think what my collection is worth, even at replacement cost alone :)

Does it make a big difference if its both players / played given its such a small market of both right now?

Soldato
mixed results

If you are a game player and xbox fan anyway - then absolutely go for it - just remember to budget in for a proper remote as well if I were you
If you are just after a cheap player, then there are better dedicated players from Samsung , Panasonic and sony for the same kind of price

Back
Top Bottom