4k player, TV or receiver input?

Associate
Hi

I'm looking at getting a 4k bluray player. I'm currently using a onkyo sr608 which is only 1080p.
My TV is 4k, If I put the player through the TV and use ARC to play the audio, would I still get the full effect if I was running it through the receiver and have the 4k picture? Or should i put it through the receiver to gain true 1080p and audio ?

I will be looking to upgrade the receiver to a 4k one but as they are pricey, it's not going to be anytime soon.

Soldato
Yes 4K player directly into the tv and audio via ARC or if the 4K player you are going to buy has twin HDMI outputs one of those of which just carries audio then plug that directly into the amp.

Some of the cheaper 4K blu-ray players do not have a separate HDMI audio output so check before you buy if you want this feature.

Associate
OP
Yes 4K player directly into the tv and audio via ARC or if the 4K player you are going to buy has twin HDMI outputs one of those of which just carries audio then plug that directly into the amp.

Some of the cheaper 4K blu-ray players do not have a separate HDMI audio output so check before you buy if you want this feature.

Thanks for replying,

Will the sound still be good running through the TV using arc?

I will look into the twin hdmi as I didn't know that was a thing! Thanks :D

Soldato
Thanks for replying,

Will the sound still be good running through the TV using arc?

I will look into the twin hdmi as I didn't know that was a thing! Thanks :D

ARC can pass 5.1 DD/DTS but it depends what your tv supports also some don't pass DTS only Dolby digital 5.1.

I recommend getting a 4K player with twin HDMI outputs and connecting it to you av receiver for best results.

Associate
OP
ARC can pass 5.1 DD/DTS but it depends what your tv supports also some don't pass DTS only Dolby digital 5.1.

I recommend getting a 4K player with twin HDMI outputs and connecting it to you av receiver for best results.

Ok thank you, I'll do that then, do you recommend a player that's not over the top in price ?

Thanks

Man of Honour
A dual output player really is the way to go here.

Audio via the TV and ARC is too full of 'ifs' and 'buts' just for DD5.1 and DTS5.1 alone, and anything better as you'll have with Dolby True HD and DTS MA is completely off the table.

Soldato
I got a Sony X700 as needed the twin hdmi outputs - refurbs from Sony for £129 so bargain and meant to be a half decent spinner, only issue I’ve noticed is having to manually turn DV on and off.

I looked at Panasonic players but put off by reviews commenting on noisy transport and my twin output Panasonic Blu-ray player suffered from this so they have form :(

Back
Top Bottom