• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5 years later, I'm looking to upgrade

Associate
Hey,

So nearly 5 years ago I bought my PC with gaming in mind and it is definitely getting old now I'd say. It has an AMD fx6300, GTX 960 and a Asus M5A78L-M LX microATX mobo, all powered by a 500W PSU.

These I still enjoy gaming, still at it with CSGO and other games like pubg and DayZ arma 2 mod, but having started uni a while back I'm now using CAD software like ANSYS and solidedge.

What do you recommend I do in terms of getting a new CPU (maybe atx/m-atx mobo and ram too??) with a budget of say £140ish for the CPU? Is the market right now even good with the whole spike in bitcoin? I've looked at the Ryzen 5 1600, but I'm a loss!

Cheeeers

Thanks all for the responses!

So after seeing those suggested components, I really did not anticipate RAM to be so expensive! Although I do get that ill have to change that and the mobo. Could I just get a single stick of RAM to half that cost, or 2x4GB, or is that not recommended?

Roughly around the £300 mark is probably my budget for the three and I'm not to keen on buying a new graphics card but if it's really worth it I could splash out. Although would I need more than 500W PSU to run it all?

I do more gaming than CAD right now, and the CAD I will be doing for the rest of my degree shouldn't be too complex so I can imagine the i5 8400 would be more suited towards my needs

Back
Top Bottom