• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

50 series card + AM4 @ 4k?

Man of Honour
Obviously nobody knows the answer to this… just fielding for opinions :)

I have a 5950x, gaming at 4k (TV) - 120fps max. No productivity, just gamez.

Upgrading to AM5 is going to cost £500-£700, probs. I can’t help but think this is money best put towards a 50 series card… it’s not like the 5950x is a pipsqueak. Yeah it’ll probably bottleneck the 50 series card but at 4k I’m not sure that matters.

Anyone else thinking the same?

Best bet would be to sell the 5950X and pick up a 5700X3D or 5800X3D. It'd cost very little and significantly improve minimum frame rates/reduce bottlenecking.

Cheers for the response.

Stupid question perhaps, but… will it?

Perhaps there is obvious data lost to time, or I’m just not looking hard enough, but wouldn’t the performance be similar-ish at 4k?

What puts me off is a lot of comments suggesting that the 5800x3d is comparatively sluggish in Windows. Again, could be misleading nonsense.

When I had the 5950X it held my 4090 back even at 4K with max details in games like The Division 2 and Far Cry 6 where the GPU in some situations couldn't hit 99% load and would be around 90% to 95%. Popped in a 5800X3D and and in the same situations my 4090 was constantly pegged at 99% with a slightly higher average frame rate as well.

Just running the Far Cry 6 benchmark I gained an average of 20fps along with better minimums. So if you go for a 5000 series card and it's on par with a 4090 it will be held back a bit depending on the game.

Thanks.

Yep sounds like it may cost me some FPS.

I think the most sensible route is to prioritise the GPU and see how I get on. If I’m happy with the FPS and performance, no need to move to AM5.

Cheers all.

It's all going to depend on the games so all you can do is try it and see how it goes. At least you'd have the card so you can always swap out other stuff later on and get even more performance.

Same with the 5800X3D now, its doing a really good job at feeding the 4090 but no idea how it's going to handle a card that could be almost twice as fast, will definitely bottleneck it but hopefully not by much, but again it's going to depend on the game.

Yep - also depends on where the ‘bottleneck’ is, exactly. As @TNA suggests above, if you’re getting above what’s acceptable to you then no issue.

I must admin I do see the CPU benchmarks re: FPS at 1080p and feel a little baffled at the benefit of going between, say, 200-250fps if you’re not gaming competitively.

Yeah, the benchmarks show the comparative performance but if you’re capped at 120 fps on a 4k TV anyway and bottleneck is above that… *shrug*

Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom