500bhp for less than £10k

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Man of Honour
Not 500bhp but a while back we had a similar thread to find the fastest car (based on 0-60) for under £10k and think an RS6 was the best option put forward. There might have been a few additional constraints, I can't really remember.

Man of Honour
the 500bhp thing is pretty misleading though isn't it, you should be able to get something significantly faster for the money (in pretty much any measure than speed to financial ruin) than any of the above if you weren't hung up on the BHP.

So a counter question - can you get 300bhp/tonne reliably for £10k (the rs6 ~250, the Chrysler ~215 and the mercs weigh the same as a small bus)
300bhp/tonne reliably would be pretty easy.

I'm about 3.5k into my mx5 including purchase price, and that's currently ~240bhp/tonne.

That would leave me needing to find 70bhp for £6500

I'd need Conrods, pistons, Injectors, bigger turbo, and 6 speed gearbox and some additional cooling for reliability.

Soldato
Not 500bhp but a while back we had a similar thread to find the fastest car (based on 0-60) for under £10k and think an RS6 was the best option put forward. There might have been a few additional constraints, I can't really remember.

Might cost less than 10k to buy, but it's a bottomless money pit :(

Soldato
............ my next question is whats the fastest car, road legal daily driver for £10k or less that is capable of hitting 155mph regardless of HP?

Just messing around here guys its not a spec me thread, Just this whole 500bhp argument I was having as piqued my interest.

I bought a £500 XJ6 that hit 141mph (GPS) at Bruntingthorpe. I suspect some narrower tyres, a bit of aero and a few other tweaks would have given it another 14-odd mph. Hell, it'd do more with a progressive shot of nitrous. Still had plenty of gear left, from what I recall. An XJR6, which you can still buy for about £2.5k, would do it without any grief.

Man of Honour
I bought a £500 XJ6 that hit 141mph (GPS) at Bruntingthorpe. I suspect some narrower tyres, a bit of aero and a few other tweaks would have given it another 14-odd mph. Hell, it'd do more with a progressive shot of nitrous. Still had plenty of gear left, from what I recall. An XJR6, which you can still buy for about £2.5k, would do it without any grief.

A bit more rear gear in my MX5 would see it capable of 155mph. I've seen the Rev limiter (7500rpm) in 5th which is 149mph or so

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Doesn't seem that great compared with a simple (and potentially reliable and nice to drive!) old W220 S500 which will easily do 155mph and is only limited to this electronically :)

Soldato
the 500bhp thing is pretty misleading though isn't it, you should be able to get something significantly faster for the money (in pretty much any measure than speed to financial ruin) than any of the above if you weren't hung up on the BHP.

So a counter question - can you get 300bhp/tonne reliably for £10k (the rs6 ~250, the Chrysler ~215 and the mercs weigh the same as a small bus)

Pretty much any 600CC+ motorbike, then you'll have way more fun, especially in the wet :D

Soldato
Really? as many as that? Im not really a car guy as such so my question might be a bit dumb if there are that many options :D

The facelift Mondeo ST220 has a top speed of 155 and that has only 230bhp. You can buy one of those for about £2.5k. 155mph isn't a difficult goal. Nearer 200mph, on the other hand...

Man of Honour
Have you got a thread on here about your MX-5?
Ive never bothered other than odd posts in "What have you done to your car today"

But in short it's a mk2 with a Subaru turbo, an aftermarket ECU and some big Injectors slapped on. Made 253bhp on the Dyno last year and is now making a bit more than that due to some exhaust mods

Back
Top Bottom